How to make my two Macs "talk"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tampascott, Sep 22, 2003.

1. tampascott macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2003
    First, hello to all, and glad to have found this forum. I hope someone with more knowledge can help.

My Gear: Mac PowerPC G4 w/ dual 1.4s
    Mac Powerbook G4 (single 1.33)
    Cable internet (Road Runner)
    Cable plugs into Netgear wireless router, then to desktop

My Problem: New Mac Powerbook, which I just purchased today, "finds" the signal, as I can see the name of the network. However, I can't get on the network or otherwise use the signal. I think it's because I don't remember the password, or the guy that set it up for me encrypted it, or something. I don't know.

Question: Is it worth the cost of having my tech guy back to my house to get the signal to work with new powerbook? Should I just buy the airport with that 54 set-up? Any suggestions on troubleshooting my present problem. For example, can I find the info I need on the desktop G4 that I need to make the powerbook work. Very frustrating.

BTW: The powerbook I bought today is the 17". Beautiful, but I feel a little like mini-mi in the commercial with the thing on my lap. Still, big enough for all the board and committee meetings I attend for demos.
  2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    if its a password problem it would let you know. when you click on the name in the airport menu, does it ask for a password?

3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Call the tech guy and ask him if he remembers the password... I know if my client had a problem like that I would like him to call me. (but then again, I give stellar service. ;) and I don't charge for phone calls like this...)

I remember almost all of my encrypted networks and admin passwords off the top of my head. (But I really should start writing those down..)
  4. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    Sounds like the NAT/DHCP is not enabled. That means that only one Address (The Router's Address) is used for the computer. You will either need a tech, some software, or a new router.

5. tampascott thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2003
    No, it says "There was an error joining the selected Airport network." :confused:
  6. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, Ca
    A benefit to getting an Airport Extreme Base Station is that you know both of your computer will hook up to it easily, plus they both support extreme, so communication between computers would be faster.
  7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i think the fastest and cheapest option would be to plug the cable modem straight into your desktop, then share the connection over wireless (aka use it as a software base station). unfortunately it may mean moving your computer or cable outlet. but it should, all in all, work well and you may already have an ethernet cable lying around... otherwise you're going to have to try to get the netgear to play nice with the rest of the equipment...

your cable company may try to charge you for the extra computers, if you call... not that many do anymore tho...