How-to? Make only Safari accessible

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tompkh, Nov 13, 2006.

1. tompkh macrumors newbie

Hi,

Problem 1: I'm looking for a way to make Safari the only program accessible on an iMac (OSX 10.4). I.e. make harddisk and other programs inaccessible without a password, for example.

Problem 2: I need to limit Safari so it only can access 1 website (without copying the website to the harddrive, 'cause I need the dynamic content on this particular website).

Ideas, anyone?

Thanx!!

Thomas

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Sounds like a job for Leopard's parental controls :)

Other that that, sorry, don't know why I posted really.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You could try messing around with permissions, e.g. making the system the owner of all documents and directories. Also use parental controls to activate simple finder.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Tiger's Parental controls can place limits on applications used. But, I don't know about limiting Safari.

5. tompkh thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll look into the parental controls. Thanks.

Regarding my 2nd problem: I've heard that on a PC the trick to limit the access to 1 only website is configuring the system in such a way, it only recognises 1 IP... (changing system files is necessary) . Is this possible on a Mac?

tnx

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

This is very easy. Set up an account with Parental Controls enabled and allow only Safari to be used.

Then you can specify exactly what websites Safari is allowed to access from that account...in this case just the one. Access to any other website would require the password from the administrator account.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Well, I didn't know this myself:

Go to Safari>Preferences Security and check Enable parental controls.

Only bookmarks on the bookmarks bar will be allowed. You can't manually enter a URL, use the Google search box, or change the bookmarks.

note: if you're logged in with admin privileges, this option will be disabled.

Sounds like this might work for your application.

8. tompkh thread starter macrumors newbie

Wonderfull!

And again, Mac is at least a million times easier to configure to one's needs compaired to Bill's operating systems.

thanks guys