Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micsaund

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
Hi all!

I've recently purchased a new Linksys WRT54GS to fix the problems you may have seen me having with the old 11mbps D-Link (I still don't know what that was) but now I've got another question...

When I boot my PB from scratch, it does not join the wireless network by default, even though it's available. Basically, I just go-up to the AirPort icon, pull it down and select the network and boom! there it is. This is only slightly annoying from a nerd perspective since it's so easy to manually join the network (and most often, I just sleep the PB instead of reboot), but still...

I've gone into the Internet Connection thing and put the Airport at the top of the list for preferences when connecting. Is there something else that I need to do? Also, this (obviously) affects the mounting of my Samba shares across the network (stuff I'm used to having auto-mounted on my Winbloze machines) for backups and whatnot, as they are not auto-mounted because the network does not come-up upon boot.

Thanks,
Mike

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
go to system prefs > Network > drop down menu > airport

here you can set the "By default join.." and you want it set to "a specific network" and then it will ask for your network name/password

cahillj

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Carlisle, MA
I had the same problem. I think this will fix it.
Go to system prefs > Network > drop down menu >
Location = Automatic
Show = Network Status
Click Configure
Now select Airport and set "By default join.." and set to "a specific network"
Make sure that airport is at the top of the list, I have it as the only choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.