How to make the most of 1024x768

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abdm, Dec 30, 2004.

1. abdm macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I am using a 12 inch powerbook and using 1024x768 is very difficult, because I am coming from windows laptops with 1600x1200 and 1400x1050. Managing screen real estate is not easy on such a small screen on the mac. I am wondering what software there is out there to help managing the resolution. One of the apps that I use all the time is AIM, and when I get a message I find it very difficult to find the converstation. On windows I have a task bar on the bottom with all my open windows, when I get a message the window blinks and I click on it and find the window. Even if I have 30 - 40 open windows finding the im window is every simple. Just looking for some suggestions..

Thanks

2. abdm thread starter macrumors member

RE: Expose

Expose is good don't get me wrong, but it doesn't completely help as it is an extra step. I am looking for a slick alt-tab or something in one key stroke to get to windows. Also is there a way to do virtual resolution with the mac...anything to get more then 1024x768?

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Doesn't Adium have tabbed chats - that could help with window situation.

Use exposé along with keyboard shortcuts (like Command-Tab) to manage your open windows.

I go along with edesign's suggestiongof using a virtual desktop, you could even try incorporating Fast User Switching, and of course connect an external monitor whenever possible!

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you wanted a PowerBook larger screeen, then you should have bought a PowerBook with a larger screen. Afterall, you bought those Windows laptops with the larger screens.

6. Chmeeee macrumors member

I had the same problem you are talking about with my 12" PB, but I found this to solve the problem for me.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Not an overly portable soultion :p But a damn fine screen...I'm lovin' mine ;) :D

8. neut macrumors 68000

neut

not sure how AIM works, but couldn't you just select the window by right clicking the AIM icon and choosing it from the context menu?

as for the resolution: if you sit really really close to the monitor it will feel huge! :D :p

peace.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How about this: in iChat preferences, go to Alerts and set to on the setting for bouncing the dock icon. Then, when someone says something to you in a chat window, the icon will bounce in the dock, which you will see whether or not the dock is visible (you can also set the dock to permanent visibility if this helps). Then, when you click on the dock icon of the (already running) iChat, it will bring iChat to the front. This is almost the same as what you'd do on Windows, isn't it?

EDIT: Oops, it didn't occur to me that you were actually using AIM instead of iChat. I don't know about AIM but both iChat and Adium can do AIM messaging with this feature (bouncing the dock icon).

10. RupertJ macrumors newbie

abdm - I'm running the same res as you, and here's how I get by with it:

1) Command-Tab switches between apps. Command-` switches between windows of the current app. (Is that what you wanted from earlier in the thread?).

2) Turn on the expose hot corners. Once you stop triggering them by accident, they're great.. Especially on such a small screen where the corners are never that far away :D

3) Get Desktop Manager if you like multiple desktops. I find that expose makes them a little pointless though.