how to make vcds?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by seebol, Oct 25, 2004.

1. seebol macrumors newbie

If I have a DVD, how do I make it into a vcd?

First, i guess, I need to know how to rip the DVD onto my harddrive. Then, I gotta convert it into whatever format vcd or svcd is. What softwares do you recommend for this?

THanks,
    Sibo

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

rip the DVD with handbrake then drop the mp4 file into toast to burn it to VCD or SVCD. Toast will do the encoding.

You can only get 74min onto VCD & about 35 onto a SVCD.

3. seebol thread starter macrumors newbie

cool

So handbrake is ripping right now...quite a lengty process. If I had slightly cropped or rescaled the video size, would I have seen any significant boost in speed?

Also, is there any way to compress more than 60 mins onto a cd?

I've also heard about a divx/xivx format. This won't work in dvd players I guess? How many minutes fit in one cd?

Thanks again

4. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Encoding movies into VCD takes a very long time, period. You can compress an entire movie to fit onto a VCD but the quality will be very bad. The whole Divx thing opens up a new can of worms. First you have to mess with syncing the audio, then divx files only work on a computer, blah blah. A problem you may not have foreseen is that you can only play the VCD on a Mac if you use VLC. I have many VCDs and let me tell you that VLC is nice but it doesnt work all the time. So the moral is VCDs and Divx take a long time to create and take a lot of work to watch on the computer.

5. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

wat if the file is a bin or cue or something quicktime , isnt there a way to make them into a vcd to play in the dvd player

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

you can buy DivX/ Xvid DVD players... they are amazing, and pretty cheap. They can play all kinds of burned media as well.

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Toast can also convert divx/xvid to DVD or VCD/S-VCD as long as you have the correct codecs for them to work with QuickTime.

The tools I use are DVD2oneX, ffmpegX, Forty-TwoDVD-VXPlus, Handbrake, Toast, MacTheRipper, these can pretty much handle any video format I chuck at my G5.