Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Google Music is not very efficient running as a tab in Safari. It gets lost. :eek: So I decided to put something together in Fluid and tweak the CSS a bit to make it less Google and more about the music.

So first off this is your desired result. It lets you enjoy the nice full moving artwork eye candy too :D:

google%20music.tiff

eye%20candy.tiff

To start, you want a copy of Fluid, which you can buy here: http://fluidapp.com You're going to need the Userstyles, so yes, you will have to shell out $5, but it's totally worth it.

Next you want an icon for your new app, I'm just using the one from the Android app itself which you can right click and save from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.music&hl=en

8TgQiluu48_ti211EJIdKDiF3wJmEIeTiGT913KjLXaamEnTXt-GqWudgG593-4QODM=w124

Afterwards, you'll want to open up Fluid and actually create the app with these settings:

URL: https://play.google.com/music/listen (Change as needed depending on your country)

Name: Google Play Music

Location: Don't change this, just keep it as Applications, unless you really want to.

Icon: Click and select Other... and browse to the icon you saved earlier.

Then click Create.

Now open your new app, and maybe keep it in the dock you want. ;)

Click on the Window menu and then on Userstyles.

Next you want to create a new style by clicking the + on the bottom right (the solid blue box). Name it something like "Hide Google Bar". Then go to the blue/off white box (Patterns) and click on the + there and call it "*play.google.com/music*" or similar depending on your country.

Then copy and paste this on the bottom box:

Code:
#gb.header-wrapper{margin-top:30px;margin-bottom:0}
#gb{margin-bottom:-30px; margin-top:30px}
#gbq1 {margin-top:-30px}
#gbq2{margin-top:-10px}
#gbq{margin-top:0}
#gbvg{display:none}
#gbx1{margin-top:0}
#gbx1 {margin-top:-30px}
#gbx3 {display:none}
#gbx3{margin-top:0}
#gbx4{display:none}
#gbz{margin-top:-30px}
#gbzw{margin-top:-30px}
#gbq1.gbt {display:none}
.gbqlca{display:none}
a.gbqla2{display:none}

And refresh to see the changes. It's not perfect, I know, but it's much nicer than what it was before! :p The Playlist + is sorta weird and doesn't show up properly until you click it, but that happens in Safari too.

Afterwards, go to View and then Hide Status Bar.

Then resize to your liking (or as least until before the scrollbar shows up).

Enjoy! :D

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Thank you very much, I am using a MBP, how would I finish it off from the "click on window menu" please. :)

Edit; had a senior moment, got it now.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Sorry about that. I didn't know how to write that. :eek: If anyone else gets confused, it's this which is in the Google Play Music app itself after you create it:

window.png

And then you should end up with something that looks similar to this after you type all the bits in:

userstyles.tiff

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Dave gets two thanks OP only gets one.. Don't you love fairness ;) j/k

Great Post Jessica. Thnk you for taking the time and sharing this.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
Does anyone else have problems with songs not starting straightaway and you have to scroll through playback to make them start?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Does anyone else have problems with songs not starting straightaway and you have to scroll through playback to make them start?

Its google play at fault I think. Maybe a server issue?. I had this issue last night on both my android phone and my iPad. Seems grand today so far though.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

It usually just pauses, and then I wait a second for it to restart, or I push the pause/play twice to fix it. I think all these bugs are more noticeable now that a bunch of us are using the web/mobile app more now.

Give it a month for people who have no desire to pay to jump off the access service and I bet you a bunch of issues resolve by themselves.

Glad to see everyone enjoying it! :D

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
It usually just pauses, and then I wait a second for it to restart, or I push the pause/play twice to fix it. I think all these bugs are more noticeable now that a bunch of us are using the web/mobile app more now.

Give it a month for people who have no desire to pay to jump off the access service and I bet you a bunch of issues resolve by themselves.

Glad to see everyone enjoying it! :D

Yep that will probably be the case :) Looking forward to a proper Google app but this will certainly do in the meantime.

TravisTubbs

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2013
Houston, TX
I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. Good stuff!

I was bothered a bit by the gap at the top of the player, so I made some changes to the stylesheet code to fix that.

Code:
/* Hide Google Bar in Google Play Music */
/* adapted from https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1586648/ */
.gbem#gb, .gbemi#gb { height: 72px !important; }
#gbzw, #gbx3, #gbu { display: none; }
#gbx1, #gb #gbx1, #gbq, #gbu, #gb #gbq, #gb #gbu { top: 0 !important; }
.gbem#gb #gbbw, .gbemi#gb #gbbw { top: 72px !important; }

/* Hide Shop link in Google Play Music */
#shop-nav { display: none; }

Unfortunately, I had to use !important when working with the height and top attributes as the Listen stylesheet would always overwrite those values, even though I was using the exact IDs and classes used by the Listen stylesheet.

Oh yeah. And since I doubt anyone will be shopping while in Play Music, I removed the Shop link. Feel free to remove that style at the end if you don't want that.

Hope this helps others out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-16 at 11.57.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-16 at 11.57.14 AM.png
    851.3 KB · Views: 224

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Strange thing.....

Having this installed on your mac plays havoc with subscribing to RSS feeds / links for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.