Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davekro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
No. Calif.
First, sorry to be such a pest...
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350 (Move your content to a new Mac) Is not very specific.
I made a CC Clone of my source iMac (10.7.5) to a volume on a USB 3.0 HDD
(because my late 2006 20" iMac only has FW400 or USB 2.0 and would take forever to Migrate (MA) the 180 GB of content.)

I read that already having a User set up (like I do) on the target Mini will cause permissions problems when MA transfers the source primary User (coded 501) to the target that already has a primary 501 User. DO I somehow delete the User on the Target? DO I need to wipe the drive and reinstall El Capitan? ( I did save a copy of El Capitan Install disk to a volume on the external HDD before installing it on the Mini. I hope it is valid ;o)

Connect the computers to each other
  • Connect both computers to the same local Wi-Fi or Ethernet network.
  • Or connect both computers directly using a Thunderbolt, FireWire, or Ethernet cable.
  • Or connect your new Mac to a Time Capsule or external drive that has a Time Machine backup of your old Mac. Does CC clone on external HDD work exactly the same?
Use Migration Assistant
On your old Mac:

• If you're using a FireWire cable to connect the computers, start up your old Mac in target disk mode.
  • If you're using a Thunderbolt cable to connect them, and your old Mac is using OS X Mountain Lion v10.8 or earlier, start up your old Mac in target disk mode.
  • In all other cases, start up your old Mac normally. W/ external USB HDD as source, would it just mean have HDD connected to target Mini with all volumes visible and then MA lets you select a source volume?
On your new Mac:
  1. Open Migration Assistant, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
  2. Click Continue.
  3. When asked how you want to transfer your information, select the option to transfer 'From a Mac, Time Machine backup, or startup disk'. Will this work for my CC Clone in a volume of extern. HDD?
  4. Click Continue.
Thanks for any specifics or links to specifics of MA from CC Clone and the already existing User on the Target Mini.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350 (Move your content to a new Mac) Is not very specific.

Well, I don't think it needs to be much more specific. :) You can either migrate over the files from a running Mac, or from a Time Machine backup drive from a Mac. There's not much else to it.

I read that already having a User set up (like I do) on the target Mini will cause permissions problems when MA transfers the source primary User (coded 501) to the target that already has a primary 501 User.

If you're moving files from an account on one machine to an account on another, the main issue is really whether you want to replace any existing files on the receiving end. Here's Apple's description of how to deal with this:

If you transfer an account that has the same name as an account on your new Mac, you're asked to rename the old account or replace the one on your new Mac. If you rename, the old account appears as a separate user on your new Mac, with a separate home folder and login. If you replace, the old account overwrites the account on your new Mac, including everything in its home folder.

Connect the computers to each other
  • Connect both computers to the same local Wi-Fi or Ethernet network.
  • Or connect both computers directly using a Thunderbolt, FireWire, or Ethernet cable.
  • Or connect your new Mac to a Time Capsule or external drive that has a Time Machine backup of your old Mac. Does CC clone on external HDD work exactly the same?

No. CC Clone is not Time Machine, and (so far as I know) Migration Assistant will not recognize it as a source for data migration. If you don't have a Time Machine drive, you'll need to connect your two Macs directly together for Migration Assistant to work.

davekro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
No. Calif.
Thanks for the uno and speedy reply. :)
So if I choose 'replace User account' the old primary user will overwrite the primary user on the target (both w/ same name) without any primary code 501 permissions issues. Just leaves the one primary user account. Cool.

How does Time machine copy over? There are all iterations over time on the TM volume. Will it just bring over the last iteration (I hope) where I cleaned house by repairing permissions, repairing disk, rebuilding the directory, deleted tons of junk/ broken Apps as well as other old outdated data? Would it be safer to just do a fresh brand new TM back up to that external drive? That will take a few hours, but if there is ANY chance that would save me any glitches and headaches on the new system, I'd gladly do it!

I need to MA from external HDD because it has USB 3.0. My old source iMac only has FW 400. And I do not have a FW 400 to 800 adapter, so that would leave excruciatingly slow USB 2.0 or ethernet. :eek:

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
How does Time machine copy over? There are all iterations over time on the TM volume. Will it just bring over the last iteration

Yes! :) It will only retrieve those files available in the most recent snapshot on your Time Machine drive.

Would it be safer to just do a fresh brand new TM back up to that external drive?

Nope, wouldn't make a bit of difference whether it's a fresh TM backup or if it had years of old files on it. :)

davekro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
No. Calif.
Yes! :) It will only retrieve those files available in the most recent snapshot on your Time Machine drive.

Nope, wouldn't make a bit of difference whether it's a fresh TM backup or if it had years of old files on it. :)
JP,
Hah! The OCD in me says 'How can that be so! LOL. ;) I am glad to hear from a knowledgeable source, so I will go forth from the TM back up that is completing in a few mins. Yeah...

EDIT: Yes, I see it now ...So by choosing the TM MA option, it will recognize (and select) the TM volume on the external HD (it's the only TM volume, but there are 5 other volumes w/ CC Clones on them)?

Edit: says +/- 55 mins. when started Any guess as to how long this migration might take using the 3.0 to 3.0 USB connection for 180 gb of data (7200 rpm HDD external to 512 SSD internal on Mini)? It took 2.5 hours to CC Clone last night from iMac via USB 2.0 port to Ext. HD.

Again, thank yo so much for the speedy replies. It is MUCH appreciated! :D
Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: jpietrzak8

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I have used Migration Assistant to move all data from cloned external drives created with CCC for migration from 10.8 to 10.9, from 10.9 to 10.10 with perfect results. No problems.

davekro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
No. Calif.
I did the Time machine migration as it was already on the USB3 Extern. HDD. Boy was it faster than the old USB system clones I have done before! 180 GB's took about 35 mins, about 1/3 the time as USB2. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. MS Office 2008 seems to work w/ initial Excel tests. A short Quicken 2007 test worked fine. SWEET.

Only bummer so far is that my MS wireless ergonomic KB (Comfort KB 5000) and (mouse wireless 5000) don't work well. Mouse it jittery and lags/jumps. SO far only real downside on KB is that the command key can only be moved to the middle (Option) keylocation, not to the 'Alt' key (right next to space bar where Command Key 'belongs'. ;o)

I am loving the new monitors with their 1/4" bezels (top & sides) and just 5/8" bottom. With their adjustable stand, I can hve the viewable part of screen just 3" from desktop. (7.5" at full heit on OEM stands). I may opt for a single desk mounted (clamping) or wall mount dual monitor stand. I love that I can spin the either monitor 90º easily. :)

All in all a very good outcome. I am loving the speed of the maxed out i7 2.6 2012 Mini w/ 512 SSD main and separate 1TB internal HD. I am copying over my 450 GB TimeMachine volume to the otherwise unused internal HDD. I will also create a CC Clone incremental back up on the External USB3 HD.

L O V E I T !!! :p:D:):apple:

Reactions: jpietrzak8

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
previously posted:
"No. CC Clone is not Time Machine, and (so far as I know) Migration Assistant will not recognize it as a source for data migration."

ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY WRONG!

Migration Assistant works just fine with a cloned drive created with CarbonCopyCloner.

I've done this before with success.

Indeed, I consider this the preferred way to migrate via an external drive.
A CCC (or SuperDuper) cloned backup can be mounted in the finder and will appear on the desktop as a "ready-to-go" drive. You can "migrate the entire drive". Or, you can "manually migrate" folders and files as needed.

davekro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
No. Calif.
previously posted:
"No. CC Clone is not Time Machine, and (so far as I know) Migration Assistant will not recognize it as a source for data migration."

Migration Assistant works just fine with a cloned drive created with CarbonCopyCloner.

I've done this before with success.

A CCC (or SuperDuper) cloned backup can be mounted in the finder and will appear on the desktop as a "ready-to-go" drive. You can "migrate the entire drive". Or, you can "manually migrate" folders and files as needed.
Good to know.
One weird thing on TimeMachine. I copied my old (10.7) TM b'Up from external HD to Mini's HDD, this took 35 mins. When I ran the first (I thought) incremental normal TM back up to the new copy on my internal drive, it took multiple hours??

Copy two both old and new TM volumes: I did select this.
Message 'If you back up to your original TM Volume, it will no longer be useable for the old (10.7) OS': I'm not sure on this so I keep saying don't run TM for now. I'm guessing I should just leave the old TM volume alone by dleteing it from the TM Prefs.

I'd really like to know why the first running of TM took hours, while the 'copy over' to the internal HD took only 35 mins (USB3).

davekro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
No. Calif.
Thought I'd post screen shots of the 'inherit back up history' or not notice.

Attachments

• TM notice.pdf
    41.1 KB · Views: 242
  • TM Pref pane.pdf
    59.6 KB · Views: 77

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
previously posted:

Ah, my mistake. I'd never used Migration Assistant in that way before, but I now see that it supports the option of using a "startup disk" from which to migrate. I assume a CCC of a startup disk will qualify for this option.

If you're using Migration Assistant, then I'd have to say Apple doesn't consider this the preferred way. Their page on how to use MA doesn't even mention the option of using a "startup disk", even though the option shows up on their screenshots...

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
One weird thing on TimeMachine. I copied my old (10.7) TM b'Up from external HD to Mini's HDD, this took 35 mins. When I ran the first (I thought) incremental normal TM back up to the new copy on my internal drive, it took multiple hours??

I can come up with a couple of guesses. :) In particular, Time Machine has been updated over the years since OSX 10.7; if they've made any changes to how the data is stored, the entire set of old data might need to be read in, converted, and stored back out. (If you didn't start over with an entirely new TM partition, that is...)

davekro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
No. Calif.
I can come up with a couple of guesses. :) In particular, Time Machine has been updated over the years since OSX 10.7; if they've made any changes to how the data is stored, the entire set of old data might need to be read in, converted, and stored back out. (If you didn't start over with an entirely new TM partition, that is...)
What, software changes over time and OS's ?? o_O
Sometimes (ok, well too often) my 'magnificent grasp of the obvious'... isn't. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.