Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Hi, recently I'm suspecting that some of the employees at my business are using the Internet not only for YouTube/Facebook/etc, but for doing side business while at work.

I don't mind when they use it for personal matters, as long as they work hard and make all their duties, but when they stop getting things done and they are working in other things, that really pisses me off.

Anyways, leaving the legal/ethical/moral thing to do, how can you monitor the network usage of an office without having to install something in each computer?

Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That would typically be something you do at the router level. Most commercial routers have the ability to monitor usage by IP address.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Get a logging router. You may need someone with expertise to get a managed device that can keep track of these things. But if you otherwise like your employees, communicate what you're about to do early and often. Technology alone will not fix this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.