How to mount an iSight to an old iMac G4 (iLamp)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Staffroomer, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Staffroomer macrumors member

I just received an iSight and was dismayed to find that none of the mounts would work with my old G4 iMac. I tried everything:
    The magnet mount won't work because there isn't anything it'll stick to. There is a slight bit of magnetism on the side, but not enough to hold my iSight. The best I can do is stick it to the window of my house, but that's too far away and to the side. It really sucks.

The other stand, which has a sticky glue surface is completely useless because no matter where I put it on the monitor it ends up looking at the roof. No adjustment can get it far enough down that it isn't ridiculous.

The third, and last stand is the one with the vice grip. It turns out that turning it around the wrong way works if you jam some folded up post-it notes in to help it grip. It's ugly and a bit lame with the wire hanging out the front, but it does work..

So what's the best solution? I grabbed a medium size bulldog clip, ripped the arms off it and clipped it to the top of my iMac. I then got the magnet mount and put it on top. Fits 100% perfectly. I've given it a shake and it doesn't come off.

I even get a cool Startrek effect like the Klingons have hit the ship with lazers or photon torpedoes when I give the screen a good hard shake.... It even looks nice.. Glad I thought of that...

www.spacemonkey.net.au/isight/isight_0.jpg
    www.spacemonkey.net.au/isight/isight_1.jpg
    www.spacemonkey.net.au/isight/isight_2.jpg
    www.spacemonkey.net.au/isight/isight_3.jpg

As you can see I'm still on dialup so the iSight is kind of redundant, but apparently my exchange will be upgraded within the month.. So....

2. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

If they still sell it, Apple make an iSight accessory kit that does/used to include a stand for the iMac G4. Hope this helps.

3. Staffroomer thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I think they do. And it costs $40!!!! I'd rather just use my 10 cent clip trick myself.. :D

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't quite understand why the vice grip stand doesn't work?

5. Staffroomer thread starter macrumors member

Why the clamp won't work

Here's a photo to show why the clamp doesn't work. As you'll notice the bump in the back of the monitor won't allow it to sit. If I sit the back of the clamp up high, the front lip is too short to grip anything but thin air. Really, the photo is pretty self-explanatory. If it doesn't, just take my word for it.. None of the mounts work!!!

[​IMG]

Here's a wide shot of the clamp not working.

[​IMG]

I still think that is a crappy option. I just want a mount that works. Why should I pay that much on top of what I already paid for the iSight? Am I being unreasonable?

Nevertheless, I'm happy with my 10 cent bulldog clip solution..

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Mine came with the mount you're needing... I'm not sure where it is but I'm moving house at the end of the month, and if I find it, are you interested?

7. Staffroomer thread starter macrumors member

Absolutely!!! I'll take it! Let me know if you find it.. I come to macrumors a bit.. So a PM or e-mail or whatever would be great..

TIA :D :D :D

8. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

I think I have the right mount too. The one with the sticky pad? It needs some new adhesive, but it's yours if you want it.

9. b-a-g macrumors newbie