How to move all files from iPhoto 11' to Lightroom 5?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MrFluffums, Sep 10, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Hello
    I have all of my photos saved in iPhoto, and want to put them all into lightroom without making duplicates. (Lightroom will become my main photo editing program now.). How do I go about moving them?

Thanks!

2. macrumors 65816

You should read the Lightroom instructions. Everything is detailed there.

3. macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

The best and simplest procedure for this I ever found was on the Apple Support Communities Forum.

It says:
    Hope that helps you somewhat.

----------

You are such a blessing to this community, where would we ever be without your selfless assistance and infinite wisdom.

I love the feedback you get on your Visitor Page. It's reassuring to know we are not the only section of this community that benefits from your presence here.

4. macrumors newbie

Thanks, seriously. This helped me out.

5. macrumors newbie

6. MCAsan, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014

macrumors 68040

MCAsan

Adobe was asleep with this first paragraph. In iPhoto, just like Aperture, you have two different choices for storing the original/master files. You can either put them into folders/subfolders in the file system (a referenced library) or, you can have iPhoto put them inside the iPhoto database files (a managed library). LR for example only does a referenced library.

If using iPhoto or Aperture, use a referenced library! It gives two advantages: it allows the original/masters to be on an large external drive and not take up spaces on an internal drive (especially expensive SSD real estate), it allows the referenced original/master files to be referenced by more than one application. My 56,000+ original/master raw files are referenced by both Aperture and LR. I don't to choose Aperture or LR; I use both with same master files.

I suggest you wait for WWDC on June 2 to see if Apple releases a new 4K capable Aperture. If so, you may want to go from iPhoto to Aperture. In the meantime, move to a referenced iPhoto library if you were using a managed one. Then you are ready to migrate to Aperture or LR....depending on the news from Apple and Adobe.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1143828/referenced_library.html
    https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6361
    http://scanyourentirelife.com/iphoto-imported-photos-iphoto-library-managed-referenced/

7. macrumors 68020

Kebabselector

What would be the benefit of 4K capable Aperture?

8. MCAsan, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014

macrumors 68040

MCAsan

Higher resolution image viewing for stills, 4k video, and stills extracted from 4k video.

This is for nMP, late 2013 rMBP, and future Macs.

9. macrumors 68020

Kebabselector

Surely the resolution viewable is dependent on the device your using - so if you have a 4K screen now then Aperture should be able to automatically cope with it?

10. macrumors 68040

MCAsan

If you have a 4K screen now....how are you using it unless you have downloaded the 10.9.3 beta ( I have) that supports 4K at 60Hz? 4K at 30Hz would not be nice. Anyone can sign up a the AppleSeed program and get the 10.9.3 beta.

I think we will see Apple soon release 10.9.3 for 4K @60Hz for nMP and 2013 rMBPs. It remains to be seen what Apple will say about a 4K iMac or a 4K ATD refresh.

With 4K @60Hz and TB2 transport bandwidth available, at least for some Macs, the stage is set for Apple to release 4K supporting versions of its professional line of apps, including Aperture.

IMHO for Aperture, it is now (at WWDC) or never ( the last fans will finally give up). We will know if a few weeks.