Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
How can I move my iPhoto library to a external drive the safe way?

mpstrex

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2005
USA
iPhoto '11: Move your iPhoto library to a new location. iPhoto's help page would have soon you this if you looked.

Thanks for this! What if I just want to back it up to two external hard drives, and start fresh, i.e., delete all the photos on my startup and put new pictures on there? Is that possible by deleting the iPhoto Library on my startup disk, or do I just delete all photos?

Thanks,

mpstrex

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Thanks for this! What if I just want to back it up to two external hard drives, and start fresh, i.e., delete all the photos on my startup and put new pictures on there? Is that possible by deleting the iPhoto Library on my startup disk, or do I just delete all photos?

Thanks,

mpstrex

Then you would have to have a scheduling cloning tool to copy one drive to another drive. I use the shareware Carbon Copy Cloner. Other Mac users seem to like the other sharewares like SuperDuper and/or ChronoSync. Any of these programs will clone (exact copy) of one drive to another.

mpstrex

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2005
USA
Then you would have to have a scheduling cloning tool to copy one drive to another drive. I use the shareware Carbon Copy Cloner. Other Mac users seem to like the other sharewares like SuperDuper and/or ChronoSync. Any of these programs will clone (exact copy) of one drive to another.
Actually, I just want to back-up the iPhoto Library only to a folder on another drive, then delete the one on my start-up and start fresh. If I want to do it again in 2 years, I'll put it in another folder.

thx

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Actually, I just want to back-up the iPhoto Library only to a folder on another drive, then delete the one on my start-up and start fresh. If I want to do it again in 2 years, I'll put it in another folder.

thx
Here's what I'd do.

1. Close iPhoto.
2. In Finder, find your iPhoto library (it's usually in the Pictures folder) and rename it to something meaningful, like iPhoto Library 2008-2013, or whatever).
3. Open another Finder window, goto the the folder on the different drive, and drag 'n drop the iPhoto library there.

That will move your original iPhoto library.

Then create a new iPhoto library for your new pictures. Hold the OPTION key down and click to open iPhoto. It will give you the option to Create New... Select that to create a new iPhoto library for your new pictures.

You can also use OPTION key + opening iPhoto to switch between your different libraries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.