Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2015
My iMac 5k 2014 has a 512gb SSD that it getting a bit more full. I had originally set aside 64gb for my Win7 bootcamp and it does work but with all the patches and everything else, it has run out of space.

I don't use windows all that much but have thought about loading some of my games that I have onto it. Now it makes more sense to put it on an external USB3 hard drive as I have quite a few 1tb and 2tb drives kicking around from past windows machines that have long since gone.

It was a bit like pulling teeth to get the bootcamp onto the SSD working as apple ships with a wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse so doing a clean install from the Bootcamp USB doesn't work unless you use the assistant that want the drive to be setup as and internal partition off the SSD.

How do I get an install of Windows onto my external drive? Would CCC do it as I own that but read somewhere that it wouldn't copy bootcamp but have not tried.

iemcj

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
It's not a direct answer but instead a question. Why do you need to keep so much stuff on your ssd? It makes far more sense to offload that bulk (which i guarantee is mostly media files and games) to an external drive instead of installing Windows off an external drive. You certainly could do it that way but it just doesn't make as much sense, if you have those 1 and 2tb drives, offload your heavyweight files onto there, and keep your internal ssd for your operating systems, your daily usage stuff, and your apps. Thing like game installs and media, that goes onto a harddrive. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.