How to open Certain Programs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ash31, Feb 26, 2007.

1. ash31 macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone. This could just be a new-be problem so if you know what I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate it.

I've just downloaded TRANSMISSION AND AZUREUS from their own sites.

I open the file.

When the application folder appeared I placed it in the Applications Folder on my Mac's hard drive. Now it all looks right to me I've don it to other applications and they are all working. But when I double click on the icon to open, it looks like it's going to open the icon comes towards the screen and it fades but nothing happens.

No mater how many times I try to open them, the same thing happens.

No warning message or explanation are given.

I deleted the application and the folder that produced it. I go back and get the file from another source and the same thing happens.

My hard dive has 14 GB available.

Thank you in advance.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I assume you are using an Intel based Mac. You need to ensure that you downloaded the Intel version of AZUREUS. The PPC version exhibits the behaviour you describe. No idea about Transmission...

3. ash31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you robbieduncan for the reply.

But no my mac is a G4 and it is not Intel based.

Is that why I can't open these program files? If so why could I download limewire. and other such applications programs, only a few days ago and they work just fine?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Every program is different so the ability to run a different app has no bearing on this at all. As you have a G4 are you absolutely sure you have not downloaded an Intel version? Are you sure your OS is supported (if you are not running 10.4)?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is your Java installation working properly? Are you on 10.4.8 or some other version of OS X?

6. ash31 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey robbieduncan
    Well when I'm going to download any program I click on the Mac OsX link. With Azureus it could be a possibility, I'll have to check. But what about Transmission?

Also I'm running the 10.3 Version. I know it's old but it works, so I haven't upgraded. Man I feel so outdated.

Hi mkrishnan.
    How do I check JAVA installation?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You have all the updates to 10.3 right? Specifically you are running 10.3.9? Apart from that I'd also suggest some sort of Java problem with Azureus...

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually a good question. :eek:

Open /applications/utilities/java/j2se 5.0/Java Preferences

Check and see if you have J2SE 5.0 selected as the runtime environment (General tab). Also try Advanced -> Java Console -> Show Console.

When you do the latter step, you should get a Java console window as soon as you execute Azureus. In that Window may be some errors that will explain why it is not running.

9. ash31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an up date on what happened

So; it's probably my operating system as I haven't updated it at all. Any hoo I thought I'll just download the updates. What it's going to cost $120 U.S.

Well, I'll see what I can do about that.

Thank you again for your time and the valuable information.

P.S. Just one last question. Will the newer MAC operating systems like 10.5 or 10.6 work on my machine?

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, no... you should be able to run most (but not all) things on fully updated 10.3 -- the first thing I looked up was any sign that Azureus needs Tiger, and it doesn't seem to. You just have to get updated. That's free.

As for future versions of the operating system... saying specifically what Mac you have (iBook? Powerbook? iMac? Mini?) would help.... but the short answer is that it will almost certainly work on Leopard (10.5), although the memory and hard drive space may be taxed. No one knows much of anything about 10.6, and so it's hard to comment on that.

11. ash31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey mkrishnan.
    I did upgrade I went to the mac site and download Mac OSX Update 10.3.9.dmg.
    I got as far as Select A Destination inside the installer and when I selected my Hard drive, It tells me! You can not install this software on this volume. This volume dose not meet the requirements for this update. So I thought O.K. It most go in increments, I can't install 10.3.9 before say 10.3.8 and when I looked it up there was a cost involved. And by the way I've got a G4.

Thanks again.

12. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

why dont u install using software update?

13. ash31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey applemacdude

If it's not too much of a hassle; Would you please tell me how step by step?

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You need the Mac OS X 10.3.9 Combo Update instead.

15. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

:apple: Menu (Top left hand corner)
    Software Update

If there are any Updates needed for your Mac they will be downloaded and installed. Just follow the instructions…

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, 10.3.9 and every update available for Panther are free to you. There should be no cost involved. You should be able to get to the latest version of Panther (10.3.9), install all security updates associated with it, and also install the latest Java.

Software Updater is the best way to do this. However, if you cannot, go to support.apple.com to get the downloads -- don't download them from any place that's trying to charge you money.