how to open files in Office 2004

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Jan 11, 2005.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I've installed Office 2004. I have Office for OSX too. When I click on an icon of say an Excel file, it still opens up in Excel for OSX. Is there a way to get my Word and Excel files to default to Excel for 2004??

Also, is there any reason to still keep Office for OSX around??? I Imported my Entourage items over from Office OSX to Office 2004.

Thanks.

Frank

2. Zaty macrumors 65816

Just right-click (or command + click if you use a single-button mouse) on any Excel file and go to "get info" there you can choose the default application to open Word, Excel files etc. I don't think there's a reason to keep Office v. X, just make sure you download SP1 for Office 2004 via AutoUpdater or from Microsoft's website.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Do the Apple-I thang.

Select the file icon of the type of file you wish to open in Office 2004.

Press 'Apple-I' to Get Info. In the panel that opens, select the 'Open With' bit and choose Office 2004, then hit the Change All button just beneath...

Office X: hang onto it for a while just in case any issues arise with documents that don't open etc. If you're short on space, trash it... if you don't end up using it for 8-12 weeks or so... trash it.

4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks to both of you. It worked and I did get everything changed over. I love it.

When I do trash Office for OSX, anything special to do other than just dragging it all to the Trash can???

Frank

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Nope. Just the Office X application folder...