how to open files in Office 2004

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Jan 11, 2005.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2003
    I've installed Office 2004. I have Office for OSX too. When I click on an icon of say an Excel file, it still opens up in Excel for OSX. Is there a way to get my Word and Excel files to default to Excel for 2004??

Also, is there any reason to still keep Office for OSX around??? I Imported my Entourage items over from Office OSX to Office 2004.

2. Zaty macrumors 65816

Mar 14, 2004
    Just right-click (or command + click if you use a single-button mouse) on any Excel file and go to "get info" there you can choose the default application to open Word, Excel files etc. I don't think there's a reason to keep Office v. X, just make sure you download SP1 for Office 2004 via AutoUpdater or from Microsoft's website.
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Do the Apple-I thang.

Select the file icon of the type of file you wish to open in Office 2004.

Press 'Apple-I' to Get Info. In the panel that opens, select the 'Open With' bit and choose Office 2004, then hit the Change All button just beneath...

Office X: hang onto it for a while just in case any issues arise with documents that don't open etc. If you're short on space, trash it... if you don't end up using it for 8-12 weeks or so... trash it.
  4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2003
    Thanks to both of you. It worked and I did get everything changed over. I love it.

When I do trash Office for OSX, anything special to do other than just dragging it all to the Trash can???

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Nope. Just the Office X application folder...