How to open the cd tray without the apple keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nospleen, Aug 2, 2004.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I recently talked one of my friends into switching. He hates the keyboard, so he is going to get a new one. How can he eject the cd drive without the Apple keyboard? I know how if there is a disc already in the drive, but what if he wants to open it and put a cd in? Here I was thinking I knew alot about macs and I get stumped by a dumb question like this. :p

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think that most 3rd party keyboards can have F12 or something like that configured to open the CD tray.

3. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ and open Eject.menu. This will put a menu in the menu bar that allows you to open and close the CD drive.

4. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ummm... feeling a bit like an idiot now, but... how do you get it out of the menu bar?

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Macs really ought to have manual optical drive eject. What if your computer went to hell and you can't boot into OS X, but you have a CD/DVD stuck in there?

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Apple-click. Drag off the menu bar. Poof. Gone.

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...nevermind....what Stoid just said....oh yeah!

9. cpjakes macrumors 6502

jsw - You can rearrange or remove all those little icons by holding Command and dragging them around or off of the menu bar. To get any of them back, search for ".menu" items, just double-click and they'll come back.

Raven VII - To get optical discs out, just hold down the mouse button on startup, it will eject the drive, sometimes in enough time to switch CDs if you need to boot from one.

cpjakes

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Start up computer while holding down the mouse button. The sucker will pop right out as soon as the firmware loads. (not long after the Mac Gong sound effect)

I'm joining the Beat-To-The-Post Club Duff-Man. Have we got T-shirts yet? :p

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Thanks to both stoid and Duff-Man! I tried shift, control, and option clicking. You'd think command-clicking would've come next, but I ended up looking into System Prefs. Time to go to sleep....

However, when I wake up tomorrow - I'm now going to explore the other menus there. It's fun to find a complete gap in my Mac knowledge. Well, it's rather common for me, I suppose. :) But these look interesting.

12. Greenpants macrumors newbie

open Terminal and type the following- drutil tray eject

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

another terminal thing is `hdiutil eject -force /dev/diskxxx` replace the xxx with the appropriate drive name, which you can use `df` to figure out (it'll show up in a /dev/disk(something) format. for example your main hard drive might show up as `/dev/disk0s3`.

or if you cant do that, you can always boot up into open firmware and type in `eject cd`. :)

14. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Wow, I was just wondering how to do that!

::nukes dial-up and ethernet icons::

Woo! Simplicity!

15. topromin, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2015

topromin macrumors newbie

janey
    macrumors 603

[​IMG]
    Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    another terminal thing is `hdiutil eject -force /dev/diskxxx` replace the xxx with the appropriate drive name, which you can use `df` to figure out (it'll show up in a /dev/disk(something) format. for example your main hard drive might show up as `/dev/disk0s3`.

So i did this and MY drive untmouted and isn't showing up now
    ... What do i do