How to open the micro-sim tray?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anastacio, Aug 11, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Totally stupid question but I have been sitting here with my iPhone 4 for an hour now and I'm still figuring out, how to get the micro-sim tray open? I'm using the pen that was in the package, yet it seems the port is totally stuck. What to do? =/

2. macrumors 603

cambookpro

Try a paper clip, pin, wiggle it, push the tray back in?

3. macrumors member

Take a small paperclip and push it in the circular whole on the side of the phone. The tray will eject pretty easily

4. thread starter macrumors regular

That's my point, it doesn't do it easily. I have tried with a paperclip as well. This is weird, like it's totally stuck.

5. macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'd take it back to Apple.

6. macrumors 68000

When I first got mine I had difficulty, but with some wiggling it opened.

7. macrumors 6502a

Me too. I understand the OP's concern. When I first got my phone it seemed fairly obvious to me that that little round hole was just begging to have a paperclip pushed into it but, after I tried that and the tray didn't seem to be moving, I lost confidence and started Googling, reading how-to articles and watching YouTube videos about the SIM tray.

Once I'd convinced myself that I was doing the right thing and wasn't going to break it, I had another go and pressed the paperclip in harder, and the tray came out enough for me to get my fingernails around the edges and slide it out fully.

- Julian

8. macrumors member

Yeah me too....

I had trouble opening the drawer, and was definitely less than comfortable applying that much force to a new phone!! And the same happened when trying to close it.

Unless you've fixed it by now, I would suggest taking it to an Apple store and letting them do it for you. If they break it, you can blame them rather than yourself!!

9. macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

As others have said, don't worry that you are going to break it. Just use a small paper clip, and with the right amount of force it will open for you.

10. macrumors 6502a

You need to push really hard because Apple didn't give the tray any room to move around. It seems it was slit-cut from the metal so you'll need a lot of force.