How To Optimize Windows Xp for CounterStrike: Source (BootCamp)

Discussion in 'Games' started by speedemonV12, Feb 5, 2007.

1. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

Nov 29, 2005
    Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew of, or had a guide on how to optimize windows xp that was installed with bootcamp, in order to give the best performance for CS Source. Or how i should change any options in the game in order to make it run more efficiently or faster. I am on a MBP 160gb 2gb ram. My game is running a little bit slow. If anyone could help me out, that would be great.

P.S. I have a friend who has a 3 year old dell xps and hes getting 400fps, while when i ran my stats, im getting 70. Was wondering if there was a way to get that stat up. That was in Condition Zero tho. anyway thanks for any help
  2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Jun 29, 2006
    70 FPS is slow? :confused: Do you really *need* 400 frames per second?
  3. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2006
    70 fps is right...i didn't even know 400 fps was possible:eek:
  4. rccola70 macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2004
    Dude, i'd be happy with 30 frames..

But if you want MORE frames, turn down everything, graphics settings to Lowest possible, resolution to lowest possible, no sound, music off etc.
  5. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    Dude, you're comparing two completely different engines! It's like comparing Quake II to Doom III. The condition Zero engine is the original HL engine released circa 1998 with some texture enhancements while the Source engine was release along with HL 2 back in 2004. Of course it's going to be much faster!

70fps in CS:Source is more than past the playability standard. If your friend is trying to make you feel inferior by bragging about his frame rates in a game that's multiple generations behind yours, he's very insecure.
  6. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    well that's no fun...:p
  7. ecksmen macrumors member

Jun 6, 2006
    If your already getting 60+fps, then there's little point in trying to get more.

I have never seen a server that operates over 100 tick rate. That's basically the equivilant fps the server runs the game. It can process 100fps of network traffic. the average is roughly 66 tick, so your already at an optimal setting for most servers, and only at a slight disadvantage when on 100 tick servers. In saying that, when you consider most other people will be in a far worse situation, with worse hardware (see the steam hardware questionaire) in reality for you to have a better online experience, the people you play against are the ones that need tweaking.

Do a search on Counter Strike Rates, you want to tie them in with your average fps.

google - cl_cmdrate, cl_updaterate, fpsmax_ and rate. There's hundreds of guides.

I limit my machine to 66fps, simply as I have a tft running at 65hz. I do not use vsync from the inherrited mouse lag (tripple buffering) so I limit my max fps to 66, and set both cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate to 66. Rate is 25000.

You can use the command net_graph 3 to see choke and loss. Adjust rates untill there is no choke or loss.

FPS is important, but for online, network settings also need tweaking. All of the above is done in the terminal (console) for the game. You'll need to enable it in options, IIRC under advanced, or maybe keyboard. tidle is the key.
  8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    He's probably got a high end graphics card in the Dell. Regardless, your monitor can't display more than 70 FPS anyway. 60 FPS is considered a perfect framerate.
  9. Comawhite macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2007
    Your eye can only handle 30 fps, so why want more ?? It's overkill