how to overclock...

Discussion in 'Games' started by hi-jacker, Aug 10, 2005.

1. hi-jacker macrumors newbie

does anyone know how to use "graphiccelerator" to overclock a nvidia card???

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

3. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

I would suggest using ATIccelerator instead of the one that actually flashes your rom. You don't run the risk of screwing up your card's rom, and you can tweak on the fly watching your results. You SHOULD bump up the percentages LITTLE BY LITTLE...pushing the speed...until you either: A) Get the desired "upgrade", B) See little dots or archiving, which is bad, or C) Destroy your video card.

There is a list of people that have tried some configs. here: Linky BUT not all those can be trusted (like the guy who said he OC'd his card to 120% of the cards RAM), they are just out there posting bogus speeds to screw up your card, for the uninformed.

I would say the *safest* numbers would be around 10% or so?

*I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU SCREW UP YOUR CARD USING THIS PROGRAM*

I used it a while ago, saw no performance upgrade at all (well maybe 1 or 2 fps difference...but it was running crazy hot). So in my opinion, it's not worth it...the pay off isn't there.

Good luck not screwing up your Vid card ;)

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

ATicellerator is for ATi cards only. He asked about overclocking a nVidia card... the Graphicellerator or whatever it's called is the version 2.0 of ATicellerator, accept that it does nVidia as well.

I agree that you want to go up little by little. I went 10% up on my ATi 9800 for both clock and memory and it was perfectly stable. Just go slow and easy with it... and unplug if it catches on fire.. ;)

5. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

These guys are right... whatever you do, 10% is a good rule for overclocking... generally speaking, a stable 20% overclock is fairly amazing. If you start getting much higher than that, you are either making some crispy silicon bacon or you've disrupted the time-space continuum.

6. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson