Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
When you trade in an iPhone 6, (which I suspect many will be doing next week)

There's a 3 point test you have to pass go check to see if your LCD display has been cracked, and one other.

But the one I wanted to focus on is the water test.

Everyone knows that there is a little water indicator inside the iPhone. That's what I wanted to know more about.

What are they actually testing for? Are they testing to see if the iPhone was ever completely submerged in water? Or will the indicator go off if it was raining, and if you had your phone in the shower with you?

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
When you trade in an iPhone 6, (which I suspect many will be doing next week)

There's a 3 point test you have to pass go check to see if your LCD display has been cracked, and one other.

But the one I wanted to focus on is the water test.

Everyone knows that there is a little water indicator inside the iPhone. That's what I wanted to know more about.

What are they actually testing for? Are they testing to see if the iPhone was ever completely submerged in water? Or will the indicator go off if it was raining, and if you had your phone in the shower with you?
From my understanding Apple is a lot more lenient. I just had my screen replaced and I was told that if my phone had any water damage I would have to pay for the out of warranty price of $299. I live in a state where it rains 200 or more days per year and I have my phone in the bathroom as I shower every day. Unless it was fully submerged in water you should be fine.

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
When I took my phone in (although I didn't actually trade it in) they checked for water damage by just removing the sim card. seeing that the sim card is damage free and a quick flash of the torch in to the slot shows that there isn't any water. I was also told that this is all they'd do if I went ahead with the sale.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
From my understanding Apple is a lot more lenient. I just had my screen replaced and I was told that if my phone had any water damage I would have to pay for the out of warranty price of $299. I live in a state where it rains 200 or more days per year and I have my phone in the bathroom as I shower every day. Unless it was fully submerged in water you should be fine.

What state is that? I live in the rainiest city in the country.

ScKcBc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
they're checking the white water sensors to see if they're pink, which indicates water contact. They aren't checking for moisture

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
External sensors are always checked first. If they are pink then the internal sensor is checked. It's only if all are pink you will fail.

Reactions: willmtaylor

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
I wouldn't worry about it. I suspect you'd know if your phone was not going to pass the water damage test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.