Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MatDave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
Southampton, NY
Hi,

I am trying to make some space on my macbook pro (early 2011, entry level 15inch). I noticed I had too many movies and I'd like to cut and paste them on my 16gb USB key. But as you probably know, you cannot paste files bigger than like 3Gb on a fat32 USB. So of course you can format it in NTFS (from a PC), but the mac can only read NTFS USB, and it can't write! So I would really like to hear the solution if there's one. Does anyone know how to paste a large file on a USB from a mac?

Thanks,
Mat :)

:apple:

Nov 28, 2010
located

Overview of the four major file systems (called "Formats" in Mac OS X) used on Windows and Mac OS X, compiled by GGJstudios. You can use Disk Utility to format any HDD to your liking.

Any external hard drive will work with PCs or Macs, as long as the connectors are there (Firewire, USB, etc.) It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted out of the box, since you can re-format any way you like. Formatting can be done with the Mac OS X Disk Utility, found in the /Applications/Utilities folder. Here are your formatting options:

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
  • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.
NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.
HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)
  • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
  • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! backups of Mac internal hard drive.
    [*]To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
    [*]To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
  • Maximum file size: 8EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 8EiB
  • You can use this format if you only use the drive with Mac OS X, or use it for backups of your Mac OS X internal drive, or if you only share it with one Windows PC (with MacDrive installed on the PC)
exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
  • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

MatDave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
Southampton, NY

Overview of the four major file systems (called "Formats" in Mac OS X) used on Windows and Mac OS X, compiled by GGJstudios. You can use Disk Utility to format any HDD to your liking.

Any external hard drive will work with PCs or Macs, as long as the connectors are there (Firewire, USB, etc.) It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted out of the box, since you can re-format any way you like. Formatting can be done with the Mac OS X Disk Utility, found in the /Applications/Utilities folder. Here are your formatting options:

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
  • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.
NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.
HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)
  • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
  • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! backups of Mac internal hard drive.
    [*]To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
    [*]To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
  • Maximum file size: 8EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 8EiB
  • You can use this format if you only use the drive with Mac OS X, or use it for backups of your Mac OS X internal drive, or if you only share it with one Windows PC (with MacDrive installed on the PC)
exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
  • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

Thanks a lot!!! I formated my USB key in Exfat, and I can copy my movies. I'm currently copying two movies (= 14gb), and it says it's gonna take about 50 minutes, is this usual?

----------

exFAT, HFS+
no big deal?

no it ain't a big deal but hey I'm not a pro geek, so I thought I'd ask. be nice :)

Nov 28, 2010
located
I'm currently copying two movies (= 14gb), and it says it's gonna take about 50 minutes, is this usual?

Yes, as that USB flash memory thumb drive uses slow flash modules (to keep the price down), which results in slow write speeds, like the 4.7 MB/s you currently get. My 4 GB USB flash memory thumb drive sometimes only writes with 1 MB/s, though the average is 2 MB/s. Faster USB flash memory thumb drives cost more though.

MatDave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
Southampton, NY
Do I have to do something to my external disk before backing up with TimeMachine?

I have a 500GB external hard drive, I'd like to backup my whole macbook pro with Time Machine, I was wondering if there was something to do before, like format it in Exfat or something (it's in fat32 right now, and I have files over 4gigs on my mac).

Thanks,
Mat

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a 500GB external hard drive, I'd like to backup my whole macbook pro with Time Machine, I was wondering if there was something to do before, like format it in Exfat or something (it's in fat32 right now, and I have files over 4gigs on my mac).
If you read the info posted by simsaladimbamba, you'll see that TM requires HFS+.

MatDave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
Southampton, NY
Yes, as that USB flash memory thumb drive uses slow flash modules (to keep the price down), which results in slow write speeds, like the 4.7 MB/s you currently get. My 4 GB USB flash memory thumb drive sometimes only writes with 1 MB/s, though the average is 2 MB/s. Faster USB flash memory thumb drives cost more though.

Yeah mine costed me about 30 dollars, it's a SanDisk, 16gb.
Thanks for your help:)

Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.