How to pay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dracoleb, Nov 3, 2003.

1. dracoleb macrumors member

Well I have final decided that the G4 iBook is the way to go. I have also been saving for much longer that I would like to and am ready to buy now. My main problem now is how to pay for it. I want the educational discount but I have to pay with two cards, but the online store does not allow this. I'm thinking that i could probibly do this at the physical store, I live in southern California so there are a few around here though the closest is about 30-45 min away. I was wondering if I could still get a cutom ordered machine there. (12" 800mhz G4 ibook w/ 60GB HDD, bluetooth, and Airport Extreme) if you know a better way to do this please let me know.

2. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Build to order options are not available through the retail store. Your options would be to find someone with a card who could put that on there, or use an Apple Instant Loan. The configuration you're getting would be less than $1,500. Can't find get a credit card with a limit for that amount?

3. dracoleb thread starter macrumors member

I'm still on my first credit card, my current limit is $900, and I would rather not pull cash out of that, APR goes too high for that.

4. dracoleb thread starter macrumors member

And how exactly does the Apple student loan work? Does the household income include your parents if you still live with them? What have your experences been like with the student loan? I just want to get my mac, I don't want to have to worry about these things

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Just call Apple and place the order that way. They should be able to use two cards over the phone, give you your EDU discount, and do the built to order stuff.

6. Rumbach macrumors newbie

Apple's Instant Student Loan is a soul-sucking, evil enterprise - don't let MBNA own you, trust me. Save the money first, then buy it.

Unless you like universal default and a 27.99 apr

7. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

here, here. Even the happy aura of Apple can't make up for the usury tactics of MBNA. Get a new card (AMEX, perhaps) or just save the cash.

8. putty macrumors newbie

What's so crazy about the MBNA Student Loan? They list an APR as low as 9.99%... is it simply that you'll never get close to that?

9. dracoleb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help, but today I just re-evaluated my finaces and my patience and decided that I would be more than fine with a stock 12" iBook and an Airport card. In fact I'm on it now and love it. I'm planing to get an iPod later on so I can use that as extra HDD space. I love the fact that I don't have to open word to check my spelling!

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Not that you'll never get that rate--you just need perfect credit to get it. That's the best it will get. If you're young and/or don't have a good credit history you'll get the +20% rate. Same thing when you buy a car/house/anything with credit.

EDIT: And if you're credit is good enough to get 9.99 from Apple/MBNA then you should have other options with lower interest rates.

11. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

You can get a signature loan at a bank if you have a source of income or use student loans if you are a college student. A student loan will probably give you the best interest rate and is perfectly legal as long as you intend to use the computer for school.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If your local Apple Store has the items that you want on stock, they can be installed at the store. The other option is to wait for that item to be in stock. I know that it works for memory, AirPort Card, and Bluetooth module. My wife wanted extra memory, but it was out of stock at time of purchase.

13. Fahd macrumors regular

I would suggest the Apple/MBNA loan only as a very last resort.