Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I install new OSes from scratch every time, and never do upgrades. This may be seen as a hassle, but my system runs at top speed and I greatly reduce the accumulation of malware, spyware, and all sorts of junk software that I install over time but forget to remove.

In fact, I reinstall at least once every 6 months. But it's not difficult to do! It now takes me no longer than a couple of hours, and most of the process is automated.

I have documented a Gist of my process (now tuned for macOS 10.12 Sierra). I encourage all to fork it and customize it for their own needs and software. This would allow you to more easily set things up so you can be more aggressive about reinstalls.

This will instill a habit of keeping your user data and content stored on a secondary partition/drive and keeping backups, so that you can reinstall the OS without worrying about losing what is important.

Keep in mind that once installed as new, if you keep a backup close by (and you should) you could always import your user profile during the post-install setup wizard (though I don't recommend that).

There is so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to start.

1. If there are no problems with your System there is NO need to reinstall, (Mac)OS (X) does not rot like Windows

2. You say "I greatly reduce the accumulation of malware, spyware" , I just laugh out loud.

3. I laugh even more after you said "In fact, I reinstall at least once every 6 months"

4. You say "import your user profile during the post-install setup wizard" means importing back the crap you had.
(Yes I read the I do not recommend bit.

5. I do not recommend anyone to follow the link he gave, there is no reason to reinstall our OS if NOTHING is wrong!

Loke2112

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
3 blocks off the Atlantic
I plan on doing a clean instal. I upgraded the last 2 times I think and there is nothing like the speed of a fresh OS and mine has been slow and clunky at times. Im backing up now and will be giving this a try. Thanks for the clear instructions, really appreciate it.

Reactions: Zanoryt

KAZphoto

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
I've never understood the nature of wanting a clean install if your machine is already running well. Even more so now that Sierra supposedly has a feature now to help clean up. It's a waste of time unless you are having issues. I've tried it a couple times because I was bored and there is no difference. Posts like this remind me of having to use Windows back in the day.

Reactions: tsager

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
With every macOS update, I always perform a clean install. It is easy for me too because I have everything sync with Dropbox so it is almost like constantly backing up your computer.

Never have to worry about lost files. Finished my clean install last night.

Why? Upgrades work like a champ. It's not like Windows.
[doublepost=1474498206][/doublepost]
I've never understood the nature of wanting a clean install if your machine is already running well. Even more so now that Sierra supposedly has a feature now to help clean up. It's a waste of time unless you are having issues. I've tried it a couple times because I was bored and there is no difference. Posts like this remind me of having to use Windows back in the day.

I agree. I upgraded my Windows work laptop the same way I did my Mac and Windows 10 handled it well. Not sure I would do it with Windows Server though.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Why? Upgrades work like a champ. It's not like Windows.

2 reasons.

1. It forces you to protect your data. Should your Mac crash and burn, what will you do? iCloud may not be enough to protect all of your data, plus is a bear to get everything completely downloaded, no matter how fat your connection may be.
  2. It forces you to test your backups. Again, your data is not protected by just backing it up; your data is safe based on the latest RESTORE of your data. So no matter how many times you back it up, if you can't restore it, you're still screwed. This way, you're not only protecting your data, but you are testing the medium which you are backing it up to. You can be safe with a clean install that not only is your backup process working, but the method you are using is also working. Because of that restore, you could even store that drive off site (read: safe, safe deposit box, etc.) in case your lose more than just your Mac (read: your home, your safe, etc.).
Upgrading is convenient, but every day that you don't have a backup of your data somewhere, you run the risk of losing all of your data.

BL.

bennyf

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
USA
My grandfather used to claim that his car benefitted from "blowing out the carbon" every so often. Everyone knew he just enjoyed flooring it and going fast (he was always safe), but smiled and let him have his fun.

Turns out there used to be a reason to do this in some cars, but he continued on doing it well after becoming pointless. http://www.dallasnews.com/business/...wing-out-the-carbon-is-just-blowing-smoke.ece

Reactions: Crazy Badger

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I was going to say the same thing. Since they suggest Migration Assistant without any details, by default you'd be copying over all the cruft in your Library, Applications, invisible files leftover from old apps, NSA spyware, etc. which totally defeats the point of a clean install. You might as well just upgrade in place if you're going to import your entire user account with Migration Assistant. Of course there are options to only import some parts of your account if you wanted to migrate some aspects of your account and manually reinstall apps for example.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

From using Migration Assistant for a decade, I have random hidden files all over the place, old preferences and application support files, all sorts of kexts that may or may not be useful still or even compatible, and who knows what kind of unsecured data that I don't even know about. I think my next MacBook Pro I'll start fresh and manually migrate all my data, as painful of a process that's likely to be, to finally be rid of all the clutter. Maybe rebuild my iTunes Library from scratch too as who knows how corrupted that thing might be.

You are spot on. Importing with Migration Assistant after a clean install completely defeats the purpose of the clean install and just brings back in any problems you may have had to begin with.

A true clean install is a disk erase and OS reinstall, followed by a reinstalling all apps then manually moving over your data.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
You are spot on. Importing with Migration Assistant after a clean install completely defeats the purpose of the clean install and just brings back in any problems you may have had to begin with.

A true clean install is a disk erase and OS reinstall, followed by a reinstalling all apps then manually moving over your data.

Again, this assumes that the user has made a backup of their data. If they haven't, there is nothing to migrate, let alone recover from, should their Mac crash and burn.

BL.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
2 reasons.

1. It forces you to protect your data. Should your Mac crash and burn, what will you do? iCloud may not be enough to protect all of your data, plus is a bear to get everything completely downloaded, no matter how fat your connection may be.
  2. It forces you to test your backups. Again, your data is not protected by just backing it up; your data is safe based on the latest RESTORE of your data. So no matter how many times you back it up, if you can't restore it, you're still screwed. This way, you're not only protecting your data, but you are testing the medium which you are backing it up to. You can be safe with a clean install that not only is your backup process working, but the method you are using is also working. Because of that restore, you could even store that drive off site (read: safe, safe deposit box, etc.) in case your lose more than just your Mac (read: your home, your safe, etc.).
Upgrading is convenient, but every day that you don't have a backup of your data somewhere, you run the risk of losing all of your data.

BL.

Not sure how this became a backup scenario but I plug a WD Passport into my iMac and let it backup automatically. I test my backups from time to time as well.

I don't understand how clean installs are considered better than upgrades on systems that are working fine? I consider clean installs a waste of time.

Reactions: justperry

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Again, this assumes that the user has made a backup of their data. If they haven't, there is nothing to migrate, let alone recover from, should their Mac crash and burn.

BL.
I understand that and it seems fairly obvious. I'm not getting your point I don't think.

Telos101

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2016
Ireland
If you just go and restore from time machine you defeat the purpose of clean installing. You can do a selective restore, but don't restore your settings.

Exactly. Migration Assistant is a selective restore - you can choose what to transfer during the process, so if you've had say a system settings problem you're eager to get rid of, you can opt not to restore this aspect of the old OS, but still retain another aspect of the system, like your apps for example.

Don't completely write off Migration Assistant after a clean install. It could save time and trouble.

Attachments

• Screen Shot.jpg
    Screen Shot.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 257

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Not sure how this became a backup scenario but I plug a WD Passport into my iMac and let it backup automatically. I test my backups from time to time as well.

I don't understand how clean installs are considered better than upgrades on systems that are working fine? I consider clean installs a waste of time.

Because you truly test your backups by performing the restore. and unless you have multiple Macs lying around or have built a Hackintosh, your only target for restore is the Mac you took the backup from. In short, perform a restore based on full disaster; as if you completely lost your Mac and had to get a new one.

That right there would be your clean install. your backups would be the source for you recovering your data. Forget about comparisons between MacOS and Windows; compare this between having your data saved and being able to recover your data should disaster occur.

Personally, I've used the past 5 releases (starting from Lion; I migrated to Macs from Linux, and skipped Mavericks) to perform clean installs, where I went from manually taking everything I had, and missing some files in the process, to having a tried and true process for protecting my data in multiple places and using one of those backups to restore my Mac. That way, I not only know that my data is valid and good, my backup and restore process works, and get a clean install of the OS.

Again, the issue isn't artifacts left around from upgrade to upgrade, but having a way to get your data back from disaster, and being able to use a new OS release to test that recovery, as it may truly come down to a clean install to get everything back that you need.

BL.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Exactly. Migration Assistant is a selective restore - you can choose what to transfer during the process, so if you've had say a system settings problem you're eager to get rid of, you can opt not to restore this aspect of the old OS, but still retain another aspect of the system, like your apps for example.

Don't completely write off Migration Assistant after a clean install. It could save time and trouble.

You have very limited control over what comes in as far as settings in MA. If you check that box by the user name John Appleseed in your screenshot, any user settings or user launch items in that account that may have been causing trouble are going to be imported. If you don't check that box, no user data comes in at all, so there is not much point in using MA.

Telos101

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2016
Ireland
You have very limited control over what comes in as far as settings in MA. If you check that box by the user name John Appleseed in your screenshot, any user settings or user launch items in that account that may have been causing trouble are going to be imported. If you don't check that box, no user data comes in at all, so there is not much point in using MA.

Understand what you're saying, but there are still scenarios where it could be useful. If you have a network problem or a suite of apps that's borked, MA could omit those components.

infam0uz

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Pensacola, Florida
Anyone have any tips or guide on how to transfer over 2,000+ Pics off my macbook to PC since im using this usb tool i have

http://www.j5create.com/our-products/wormhole-switches/juc400.html

Im trying to drag all the pictures over to my PC Desktop and its not letting me, any other suggestions i could try?

Ive upgraded it to Sierra already but the computer runs slow and i need to do a fresh reinstall and dont want to loose all my photos i have saved.

Zanoryt

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Mountain View, CA

1. If there are no problems with your System there is NO need to reinstall, (Mac)OS (X) does not rot like Windows

2. You say "I greatly reduce the accumulation of malware, spyware" , I just laugh out loud.

3. I laugh even more after you said "In fact, I reinstall at least once every 6 months"

4. You say "import your user profile during the post-install setup wizard" means importing back the crap you had.

5. I do not recommend anyone to follow the link he gave, there is no reason to reinstall our OS if NOTHING is wrong!

I'm sorry you think that way. I spent 15 years in IT, I know a lot about filesystems, user preferences, and system rot.

I never import my user profile. Ever. It's there just in case people need it. But I literally never do it myself.

Yes, you need to reinstall! I highly recommend it. Your /Library and ~/Library fills up with crap. A lot of it unnecessary. Your Applications fill up. If you Homebrew/ports/rvm/npm at all, there's even more junk.

Malware is freaking real. Note that I never said viruses. But if you moronically think that your Mac is immune from leeching eyes and remote exploits, you're sorely mistaken! And after years and years of downloads, people are that much more at risk.

Laugh all you want. My reinstall takes a couple of hours, that includes an automatic reinstall of all my apps, libraries, databases, etc from scratch. It keeps everything incredibly snappy.

My bet is you aren't a power user at all. And that's fine.

My 10.10 setup gist had over 400 stars. My 10.11 had 270 or so. Lots of commments. I'd say that's a lot of interest. Mostly from the developer community (which is the real
impetus for the setup process anyway).

Reactions: naeS1Sean

fastasleep

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
Seattle, WA

BL.

Filed under DUH...

However, rereading the original article, I'm realizing it does NOT make it super clear that you really should have a complete backup no matter what before wiping your drive. So many things could go wrong when manually backing up individual things if you don't know what you're doing. Ugh.

(also, taking a screen shot of your Desktop? WTF?)

More importantly, what the hell is in that 18GB of "Other files and folders"? That alone freaks me out. Like, let's say I want to manually install my Apps again, copy over my User account, but then there's that. What did I leave behind? Do I have to run a diff tool on both entire drives to find what didn't get moved over? No thanks.

Last edited:

Machismo

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
Germany
I've been using an iMac since 2009 with Snow Leopard and been performing clean installs of new Operating System releases or whenever I've wanted to return to a fresh operating system.

In the past I've always named my account/short name/homefolder with my surname beginning with the first alphabet in uppercase. It's never been an issue and has always worked.

With macOS Sierra I wasn't able to do the same and it reverted to lowercase.

It's just a personal preference to have the first alphabet in uppercase. Looks nicer on the sidebar as well since all folders begin with uppercase.

Is there any way I can get around this?

And another thing I had trouble with while clean installing:

My iMac has a Fusion Drive. Booting into the USB drive and using Disk Utility to erase the Hard Drive resulted in an error.

It's better to boot into the recovery drive with CMD+R and erase the disk using Disk Utility. Then restart and boot into the USB Drive using the Option key.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oktober

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
2 reasons.

BL.

Upgrading and backing up are two different things. Backup is not an impetus for a clean install.
[doublepost=1474546641][/doublepost]
I'm sorry you think that way. I spent 15 years in IT, I know a lot about filesystems, user preferences, and system rot.

I never import my user profile. Ever. It's there just in case people need it. But I literally never do it myself.

Yes, you need to reinstall! I highly recommend it. Your /Library and ~/Library fills up with crap. A lot of it unnecessary. Your Applications fill up. If you Homebrew/ports/rvm/npm at all, there's even more junk.

Malware is freaking real. Note that I never said viruses. But if you moronically think that your Mac is immune from leeching eyes and remote exploits, you're sorely mistaken! And after years and years of downloads, people are that much more at risk.

Laugh all you want. My reinstall takes a couple of hours, that includes an automatic reinstall of all my apps, libraries, databases, etc from scratch. It keeps everything incredibly snappy.

My bet is you aren't a power user at all. And that's fine.

My 10.10 setup gist had over 400 stars. My 10.11 had 270 or so. Lots of commments. I'd say that's a lot of interest. Mostly from the developer community (which is the real
impetus for the setup process anyway).

15 year old OS's are not modern. Things change and old habits die hard. Is there any evidence that a fresh install speeds up the response times. Not a feeling but benchmarks. What does Apple have to say in this regard? Probably nothing out of fear,but worth asking.

Loke2112

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
3 blocks off the Atlantic
I remember when Snow Leopard came out and I just upgraded. Spent weeks on the phone with Apple trying to get my Mac to work right. It wasn't until we did a clean instal that it finally corrected the situation. I'm not an IT guy Im sure upgrade tech has improved but a clean instal makes my machine boot and run like new and I don't consider it a waste of time.

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
Why do people seem to hate that there is Siri in macOS? Didn't people complain that it wasn't there for years? And isn't "deep integration" Apple's thing? (shrugs)
[doublepost=1474562871][/doublepost]

Wow. You're being incredibly rude. Let him be who he wants to be and let it go. Everyone doesn't have to be the same or hold your beliefs. It's a shame people can treat others so poorly because they're hidden behind a computer screen.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
My grandfather used to claim that his car benefitted from "blowing out the carbon" every so often. Everyone knew he just enjoyed flooring it and going fast (he was always safe), but smiled and let him have his fun.

Turns out there used to be a reason to do this in some cars, but he continued on doing it well after becoming pointless. http://www.dallasnews.com/business/...wing-out-the-carbon-is-just-blowing-smoke.ece
I'm not performing a clean install of Sierra anytime soon. But, I will extoll adding a can of Berryman's B-12 Chemtool or Chemtool Total to a tank of gas, then "blowing out the carbon"...

My 1972 Datsun 510, with a bored-out 2.2L engine with plenty of upgrades (hot cam and crank, full autocross suspension with lots of Delrin bits here and there), dual Mikuni-Solex carbs, and AR Libre wheels and my modded E550 both leave broad grins on my face at the track... Yeah, I just enjoy flooring it... :D:D:D

If I could only hop up my rMBP with a couple hundred extra horses....

gabriel garay

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015

macOS Sierra is Apple's latest desktop operating system, which succeeds OS X El Capitan and adopts a new name to bring it in line with iOS, watchOS, and tvOS. The OS will come pre-installed on all new Macs once current stock is depleted and is a free download for existing Mac owners.

012-macos-sierra-970-80-800x449.jpg

The main new feature in macOS Sierra is deep Siri integration, bringing Apple's personal assistant to the Mac for the first time. It also adds new features to Photos and Messages, and includes Continuity smarts like Universal Clipboard and an Auto Unlock option for Apple Watch owners.

This tutorial explains how to download macOS Sierra and perform a clean install, which offers several benefits over the automatic upgrade process included in the installation package.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Perform a Clean Installation of macOS Sierra
I have an issue. when I copy and paste into terminal and get to the part where I am supposed to input my password it shows a little key and doesn't allow me to input info. Any help appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.