Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
If you just buy your video content legally then it won't be in the .avi format and you won't need to buy an app to play it at all.

BS. Ever heard of video cameras and shooting home videos? Up to 2005-2006, AVI was the most widely used video format. The vast majority of my (digitzed) home videos are in AVI too. Am I too a pirate?

----------

Guys, I've posted a major update on the new versions of four players running on the iPhone 5: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16321816

Some of those players (e.g., It's Playing) has been mentioned here. The article discusses AC-3 drop very thoroughly and even points out that MoliPlayer still supports it.

The article, as with most of my other articles here at MR, is certainly worth checking out.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Don't bother with all that mess with conversion and what not.
Here are the two easiest ways.
Vlc player: if you can still get a hold of it. Plays avi files by just drag and drop.
Air video: can stream avi, mkv, or anything else from your computer to your phone via wifi or through cellular.

I use both and are flawless. Don't hassled yourself with jail breaking or converting.

A bonus with air video is u can air play any file to your Apple TV
To play avi and mkv. Works flawless.

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
As above... Air Video is awesome to stream any video direct from PC/MAC onto iphone, Apple TV or media box. Couple of dollars but well worth the cash, it converts on the fly but its pretty instant and flawless.

Might not be what you are after but you never know...:)

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Vlc player: if you can still get a hold of it. Plays avi files by just drag and drop.
Air video: can stream avi, mkv, or anything else from your computer to your phone via wifi or through cellular.

I use both and are flawless. Don't hassled yourself with jail breaking or converting.

A bonus with air video is u can air play any file to your Apple TV
To play avi and mkv. Works flawless.

VLC is old and not optimised so stuttery for high def stuff. Plus no iPhone 5 support.

Do not know why people still recommend it.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

As I've already mentioned above, the iOS version of VLC should be avoided. I've very thoroughly benchmarked it and, codec quality- (let alone feature!)-wise, found it inferior to other, top players (It's Playing, GoodPlayer, BUZZ Player etc.). Do NOT use it, particularly not on the widescreen iPhone 5.

----------

VLC is old and not optimised so stuttery for high def stuff. Plus no iPhone 5 support.

Do not know why people still recommend it.

Because on the desktop OS'es, VLC is indeed the best. But not on iOS, where it's one of the worst players.

EvilHomer484

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Convert to mp4 so that can be viewed on all apple devices?

Hi guys, whats the best file format to convert to if i want to view the files on my iPhone 5, i pad, and apple tv?

using Smart Converter Pro at the moment, converting to apple tv formt however it barely fills the screen on the iphone 5?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.