How to play warcraft

Discussion in 'Games' started by vsp, Jun 9, 2004.

1. vsp macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2004
    Chico, Ca
    Just started in on the single-player campaign on this game and I have a few questions. I'm new to RTS games (I don't consider the Myth series to be rts--no resource gathering and I can pause, survey, and set new orders).

On Normal difficulty it isn't all that difficult (I'm only on chapter 4 or so of the human campaign), just make sure my bases are protected and then build and build until I can overrun the bad guys. It's fun and somewhat challenging but it seems like a strategy that I'll just be repeating.

On the higher difficulty setting I usually get swamped and can't quite finish some of the missions.

Does anyone actually manage their troops during these fights? It seems the troops regularly do what they want to do and any attempt I make at using tactics get's ignored. Mainly I've been trying to swamp the other folks and use the heroes for healing and occasional oomphs of offense (though I seem to hurt my own troops just as much as the enemy).

I get and can do, the simple stuff like melee fighters in front, ranged in rear, try and choose proper targets, but once the fighting starts it doesn't seem like there's much I can do about what happens. Do you all just make a bunch of keyboard shortcuts for each group of fighters and hope you remember them all? Can you actuallly react to what's going on in the battle? What do you do when your heroes are off exploring with their own troops and there's a bunch of fighters defending the bases? I easily could have 8 different control groups at that point and trying to follow two battles at once is difficult.

I'm enjoying the game but I would like to give it a shot on the higher difficulty settings. Any tips, pointers, suggestions or links for troop management in the single player game would be greatly appreciated. Don't need a walkthrough, just advice on managing what happens on the screen.

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey there,
    I am wondering if you have Reign of Chaos or The Frozen Throne. If you have Reign of Chaos, I suggest you upgrade and get the expansion. It all depends on what you want to do with the game. If you want to play campaign, they both have excellent campaigns. The Frozen Throne to me seems more advanced than Reign of Chaos because different play is harder in general. ie. It costs more lumber to upgrade your Town Hall, Tree of Life, etc.

If you want harder play, I suggest you try It is definately the best part of WC3 in my opinion. I play for hours a day. Also, there is also a mac-gamer clan called Clan G5 which I used to be a part of. You can go on and look for "interrupt" and contact him to join if you are interested.
    If you haven't been on you randomly find people to play games with, either solo or team or FFA. Also, you can play arranged team games with your friends. By playing on you can learn a lot of great strategies and learn each units abilities.

So basically I think you should scrap campaign, and get The Frozen Throne (I believe that campaign has a hard mode). And then go on of course.
  3. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    I presume you're talking about WC 3.

the most crucial elements of effective attack/defense in Blizzard's (and most other RTS companies') games is learning 3 things:

care-free resource management/collection, keyboard shortcuts and USE GROUP BINDINGS!!!!

Are you using cmd/ctrl-1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc to organize your troops?

if not, you must, or you'll be miserably incapable of fighting back. You should have run into these tactics in the tutorial-like sections of the game.

When you select a group of people, you can bind them temporarily to a number 1-9 or 0 for easy controlling/selection, etc. You can also bind a building. For example, if you want to make a lot of peons (gatherers) and you always want them to harvest wood, you could do the following and never even have to jump back to your base to manage things if you're busy fighting:

select your base (peon creation building, whatever it happens to be for your race) and set your rally point. Point it towards either a tree or a mine, and every time you create a new peon, they will automatically start harvesting from the selected source.
    next bind a number to the base, for example, i often use 9 for peon creation. do this by, while the base is still selected, pressing CMD-9. now, no matter where you are on the map, you can press 9 and your base will be selected. (press 9 two times and the view will jump back to the base. )
    once your base is selected, you can use the keyboard shortcut for "train peon." This will let you create workers without even leaving the heat of battle.

Applying group bindings to bunches of troops is really the only way to fight effectively. By default, the hero in your group will be the "highlighted" unit in a group, and any keyboard shortcuts for abilities, etc will be limited to them. If you want to use another unit or hero's ability or item, then you must hit TAB to switch between active members of a grouping.

It takes a little practice, but one you get used to the keyboard shortcuts for a few important actions, and you learn to group your units and bind them, you'll be able to manage your troops and buildings much more effectively.

Just have to practice. The single player campaigns are a great way to practice. If you haven't gone through the game on "normal" difficulty, you probably should. It is very valuable to learn the game without constantly being destroyed. Beating the game on "hard" isn't really something that a new RTS player should expect to be able to do without a good bit of difficulty. Play through the campaigns.
  4. vsp thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2004
    Chico, Ca
    Thanks haiggy and benpatient for the comments and advice.

I purchased the WCIII battle chest for fairly cheap so I do have the expansion pack.

haiggy, I'm going to stick with the campaigns for now--I'm enjoying the story and the different missions. After that I'll move into

Thanks for the advice both of you. I was spending an inordinate amount of time switching back to the base to get more peons and what not. I have been using the bindings but not as completely and effectively as I should, apparently.

I think I will stick with the normal mode for practice and getting used to how to manage all that's going on the screen. The difference between normal and hard seems to be of such a magnitude that going through a second time should be fun and present a new challange.

Thanks again.
  5. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

Oct 3, 2002
    Golden, CO
    Another advice: With ranged units, have them all focus on one target at a time. It's called Focus Firing.

with melee, my strategy is to use them as a meat shield for my ranged units because if i try surround/kill with them, they just get picked off 1 by 1 by the enemy. :D
  6. vsp thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2004
    Chico, Ca

how do you specify to stay as a shield vs. surrounding and attacking? Do you mean you set the fighters to Hold Position and let the enemy come to them and have them take the brunt of the ranged attack? So the protection upgrade for ranged attacks would be very important here?

7. Edot macrumors 6502

Jan 29, 2002

I enjoyed the campaign because of the story and what not, but it tends to limit the game-play so much that you can't really explore many strategies. I played the campaign through a couple of races and had had enough. I wanted to play other players besides the computer and be free to make whatever units I pleased. I suggest playing some custom games with the computer to get used to the different races and all of the units, since the campaign hides most of them. You can watch how the computer plays by saving the replays of your games and watching them. If you do get into the game I would also suggest downloading some replays and watching the pros play. You will learn a lot. I would suggest playing some custom games with the computer before jumping on or join the G5 clan and play some people who won't give you a hard time. can be rough if you are new at the game, but don't be discouraged the game will become very fun. If you want to play I would suggest joining the clan, so you can play some of us and learn some tips from people you can talk to regularly. The best advice I can give you about playing the game is stay busy. Never find yourself just sitting, waiting, watching. You must be doing something at all times. These are some sites with some replays you can watch and learn from the best in the world. Have fun! If you have any questions about the clan go to for more info.

Replay sites:

You will find this site helpful as well:

There are a lot of tips and info on the last site.

8. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

Oct 3, 2002
    Golden, CO
    just send the melee into battle before ranged units so as you said, they take the brunt of the damage instead of the ranged units.
  9. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    And this, my friends, is why I suck at Warcraft.

I guess I just dont have the patience to strategize and plan (I spend my days at work strategizing and planning my characters/animations) so when it comes to gaming, I much prefer fast-paced first person shooters.

Tactical Ops mod for the original Unreal Tournament comes to mind. LOVE that game.

OH, and VSP: You're from Chico? Is it as rough and tumble as the "OC" show portrays it to be?
  10. vsp thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2004
    Chico, Ca
    Haven't seen OC but isn't that Orange County in southern California? We're up north of Sacramento...

If it is the same Chico it's not very rough and tumble. There's some crime and a bunch of college drinking but nothing worse than anything I've seen other places I've lived. I feel pretty safe here.

But I am curious--how does OC portray it?
  11. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    LoL, this really made me laugh. I'm from Sac area (Davis), and I think he's confusing it with another Chico.
  12. marcsiry macrumors member

Jul 16, 2002
    This is horribly off topic of me to perpetuate, but in the TV show 'The OC,' the main character is FROM Chico and is currently LIVING in Orange County.

It's supposed to be a 'fish out of water' story, so they try to contrast 'rough n tumble' Chico with the fantasyland of Orange County (even though there are some pretty skanky parts of OC, too).
  13. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    The game gets very difficult towards the late middle/end of the game. If i was you, i'ld keep it on normal.