How to POST url in safari?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by HARDWARRIOR, Mar 2, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Nov 17, 2008
    I want my app to open url in Safari and to login.
    I know how to just open URL:
    	UIApplication *app = [UIApplication sharedApplication];
    	[app openURL:[[NSURL alloc] initWithString:@""]];
    But there is a login form on that site. Here is it's code:
    <form action="" method="post">
                      <td width="68%"><input name="username" class="formlogin" size="23" type="text" /></td>
                      <td width="10%"> </td>
                      <td><input name="pass" class="formlogin" size="23" type="password" /></td>
    it looks like I have to POST params to
    Well, I know how to POST
    	NSString *myRequestString = @"username=sampleuser&pass=samplepass";
    	NSData *myRequestData = [NSData dataWithBytes: [ myRequestString UTF8String ] length: [ myRequestString length ] ];
    	NSMutableURLRequest *request = [[NSMutableURLRequest alloc] initWithURL:[NSURL URLWithString:@"" ]]; 
    	[ request setHTTPMethod: @"POST" ];
    	[ request setHTTPBody: myRequestData ];
    	NSURLConnection *connection = [[NSURLConnection alloc] initWithRequest:request delegate:self]; 
    	[connection release]; 
    	[request release];
    But how to combine it all together? Just POSTing and calling openURL does not work. Is it possible at all? openURL opens safari and GETs? What if a site could log me in on GET request with username and pass as params, would openURL work then?
  2. macrumors regular

Feb 13, 2009
    Not sure if I'm on target with this answer. But I thought it was worth mentioning that many applications log into websites through means of a web Service. For instance. You write the code as you have done, and send it to a PHP file or SOAP file which then logs the user in, and can transfer data to databases ect. Just a thought.