Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
hey, i want to know if theres a way to disable the feature that open's pdf's in safari, i want them to download and open in preview becuase it is way too confusing in safari, i don't knwo how to zoom in and out or anything

thanks

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
There is a way to force Safari to download pdfs, but I don't remember it and I'm too lazy to search MR and macosxhints right now.

But you can do much by ctrl/right-clicking the pdf in Safari, like zooming in/out, open in Preview etc from the context menu:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 934

Dale Sorel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
When you find a link with .PDF on the end, just hold down the Option key when you click on it. Then it will be downloaded rather than opened in Safari.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
I am trying to do the opposite

I installed Adobe Reader... long story.

I deleted it, and now Safari won't show PDF's.

How can I get that functionality back? Does anyone know? Thanks!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The other thing you can do, if you want to, is to install the Schubert-It plug-in for PDFs anyway. They'll still show up inline, but you get the toolbar, which makes it easier, and in particular has a button for launch-in-Preview. Although I uninstalled it and use the built-in feature...it's a preference thing. It might be a good compromise for you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.