How to price an item you want to sell?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phas3, Apr 16, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

So I have some brand new items that I'm looking to sell. However, I do not know what to price them so that people will buy. What are some guidelines you guys for selling items on ebay/caigslist/forums?

2. macrumors G5

jav6454

How to price it? Well look online for your item in similar conditions to yours and then look at the price people are setting up. Then go from there...

As per selling, avoid eBay, too many horror stories now a days. Craigslist is local, so stick to local buyers, avoid checks, accept cash only and meet in public places (like a mall or coffee shop).

In my experience, Craigslist sells faster. Also, CL you get to keep your total profit.

3. adk
    macrumors 68000

adk

For eBay, search completed listings and see what the item has sold for recently.

4. macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

Another option I like doing besides CL, is Amazon. Check around at the like new prices.

5. Guest

eric/

Well, this is new stuff so this doesn't apply. But I've always had success listing things on eBay for a penny.

6. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

I would determine the venue where I plan to post it. Then I'd attempt to discover the empirical distribution of prices for the item/similar items at that venue. Based on how quickly I'd like to move the item, choose a price informed by that distribution. This is the price at which I'd like to move it: I keep this information private.

Now you can choose all kinds of strategies in order to get an offer that meets or exceeds that price, and you get to play a game. This something I find rather ugly, but many thrive in such a scenario.

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

aside from craigslist and ebay what other sites are a good place to sell items?

8. macrumors demi-god

firedept

I have used Ebay, Craigslist and Kijiji for all my sales over the years. I research the item I am selling and start from there on Kijiji by asking what I want for it. I mainly use Ebay as I have a loyal customer base (13 years selling) plus Ebay has a huge traffic flow to their site. When I sell on Ebay, I will start all items at $0.99 and let it go. In the majority of cases I find it sells for more than I expected. I never get disappointed by getting less than I expected, as it generally evens itself out if you are selling a lot of things. I also make sure appropriate shipping is charged, no matter the selling price. I do this because of the fee's Ebay charges, which is 10%. Craigslist is a roll of the dice sometimes for me. I do not like dealing with the scams that show up every once in a while. But again, on Craigslist I ask for what I want. These are probably the better of all the sites for selling out there unless you open your own website.

9. macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Did you ever set a reserve or just let it ride?

10. adk
    macrumors 68000

adk

On eBay they charge you a bunch of money for a reserve in addition to the high fees they already charge for an auction-style listing. For an auction listing with a reserve price they charge you 11% of the final sale price.

If it's a common item (ie an ipod) it will sell for about what you'd expect.

I usually sell items at a fixed price with the "or best offer" function. The fees are significantly lower in this format.

11. macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Yikes! I didn't know they charge you 11% if you have a reserve price.