How to Program the isight

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by damenace, Jan 19, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

I am working my senior engineering capstone design project. Part of the project is to take a picture of a resistor, read the color coding by using image analysis. Then a robotic arm wouold pick up the resistor and place it in a bin according to its resister value.

Specifically, how can I find out how to interface with the camera to zoom, focus, maybe change its viewing properties. And then take a picture. Once the picture is taken other software will take the image and analyze it..........

I already have a isight and figure this is the best webcam around and is mountable on a robotic arm, and would not want to buy an expensive camera for this project.......

(I would rather not buy software, but instead, write it)
    Are there schematics around?
    Any Sugggestions?
    I see some 20 dollar programs around that allow you to control it?

2. Guest

caveman_uk

Look here

Basically you program it via Quicktime.

3. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

(Sorry for the off topic, but..)

Still worrying that there isn't a shutter on all the iSight equipped Macs. Sure, you may see a light indicating it's on, but then what. How do you know which application (or background application) is using the iSight, so how do you stop it?

4. Guest

caveman_uk

Black sticky tape over the lens? ;)

5. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Wow.. These low-tech solutions never cease to amaze me! ;)

It's just that recently I've been developing a lot of background applications, and it's made me realise the ease with which a trojan could install one which does... almost anything. A little frightening. (and sorry damenace for the thread hijack!)