Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
No I am not getting rid of them or declawing them.

What would be some ways ?

Reactions: Meister

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Buy or build a carpeted scratching post. that helps. Better yet find a cat tree (carpeted)

Thanks would a chair cover help at night when the chair is not in use? Like for example a patio chair cover?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Thanks would a chair cover help at night when the chair is not in use? Like for example a patio chair cover?

The only way to totally protect it is by putting it in room where a cat cannot get into but that is worth try. BTW if you keep the cats claws trimmed it will cut down on the damage they can do.

Reactions: max2

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
I got a good cat tree 11 years ago and it turned out to be an excellent investment in regards to saving furniture. Carpeted is good, but roped bases are the gold standard and last longer. I've had to re-rope three of the base posts once (the fourth is in a corner and doesn't get used), but it's still in great shape and the carpeted type would have needed to be replaced by now.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Place a tall Cat Condo near the chair. Lure them to it multiple times with cat nip (as a joke you can get the Meowijuana brand). So they get used to it and scratching it. It needs to be tall so it becomes their favorite place. Cats like to be up high and above the action. Perhaps add a Heated Cat Bed. Making it irresistible. The only place they like more than a high place is a warm high place.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I had the same problem with my cats. It is in their nature. To solve the problem, I replaced the chair with something that isn't made of something they would like to poke their claws. Cats really like to poke their claws into certain types of material so keep something in the house for them. Cats love clawing things and it makes them happy. When the cats are happy, you will be happy.

Reactions: Meister

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I got a good cat tree 11 years ago and it turned out to be an excellent investment in regards to saving furniture. Carpeted is good, but roped bases are the gold standard and last longer. I've had to re-rope three of the base posts once (the fourth is in a corner and doesn't get used), but it's still in great shape and the carpeted type would have needed to be replaced by now.
I had one of those back in the 80s and had 3 cats, and they loved it. The tree had a box in the middle where they could get in and nap. never a problem with furniture.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
Things I've tried with varying success:

Clear packing tape laid sticky-side-up (nasty surprise for kitty)
Crumpled sheets of aluminum foil (unpleasant to walk on)
Chair mat for carpets, prickly side up (really unpleasant)
Scat-Mats (works great on counters, and floors - just be aware if walking in your stockings across it - just like a static zap)

#1 Rule is consistency - chair / counter / kitchen is ALWAYS no fun
#2 Rule - cats don't understand punishment - they just think you don't like them and wonder why you are being mean... instead, let them come to their own conclusion that something or some area is not a pleasant place to be.

So... either make the surface/object unappealing (100% of the time if possible), and/or provide something better.

Also - another vote for Soft-Claws / Kitty Caps... if your kitty is accustomed to your handling paws and clipping claws, you can get them used to applying caps. My method is stay one step ahead of the cat and give lots of reward / petting after.

Reactions: phrehdd

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
No I am not getting rid of them or declawing them.

What would be some ways ?

We train our cats what is and is not acceptable to scratch. It takes time and dedication, but once learned, it is effective for the rest of the cats life. Method:
  1. Initially, make sure there is a good scratching post in every room with a vulnerable item. Make sure the scratching posts are attractive destinations with catnip or treats at them.
  2. Every time they scratch the wrong thing, pick up the cat and place him on the scratching post.
  3. Every time they scratch the right thing, provide a treat.
  4. Once they have figured things out, you don't need a scratching post in every single room. You can just keep one in the house and they will go there. You can also eventually stop doing #3 over time.
Recent studies show that negative reinforcement slows down learning time, so I don't suggest negative reinforcement for #2. Just stick to positive reinforcement in #3.

Skald

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
California
We have used a water pistol, mostly successfully, with one cat who is a very slow learner. She does not like getting sprayed, but does not hold a grudge, and rarely starts to scratch the chairs. If she looks in position to scratch, and then I show her the water pistol, she changes her plans.

This seems a humane bit of behavioral conditioning. Our smarter cat stopped scratching chairs after one squirt. And using the water pistol calms me down, too.

We also have one small or big scratcher in every room, and when I sometimes pick up the slow cat when she is about to scratcher, and take her to a scratcher. Not sure if that has a long lasting effect, but most of time she does scratch.

Thank you for not having your cat declawed.

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
Double-sided tape. They sell rolls specifically for cats. Once the cat touches the tape, he/she will never touch that area again. We have managed to get our cat to lose interest in all of our furniture, but if she ever touches the couch again, we put a piece of tape there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.