how to protect files/folders from being trashed?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cb911, Dec 30, 2002.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i've got a heap of wallpapers and other stuff that i want to somehow protect from being acidentilly trashed.

at the moment i have LameSecure protecting the folders from the people around me, but i was wondering if there is a way to simply use OS X to protect folders, besides from changing the folders permissions everytime i want to use it.

any ideas or suggestions of apps etc would be really appreciated.

thanks.:D

2. DjRedo macrumors newbie

Re: how to protect files/folders from being trashed?

This might not be the answer that you are seeking, but I would suggest that you create multiple user-accounts on your computer. Then you can either give these files permissions so that you alone can open/use/trash them, or you could simply put them in a folder that is only accessible by your logged in user. I don´t think there is any other way you can do it (besides from making them invisible), that are 100% family proof... :)

Hope this adresses your question!

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: how to protect files/folders from being trashed?

Have you tried this?

Right click on the folder/files and go to Permissions. Select READ access only for everyone including yourself.

arn

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Re: how to protect files/folders from being trashed?

hmm... that doesn't work... I just delted a file I changed. Though you'd think it would... :)

Here... actually click on Get Info and check off "Locked". That will prevent people from deleting it "accidentally" - though people can still unlock it if they really want to delete it.

arn

5. demonx macrumors regular

I wish there was a way in OSX to protect a folder form being opened, deleted, moved etc by having it tied into the accounst password.

For example you would double click a "protected' folder and it would pop up asking you to enter your password.

6. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

using the Get Info window is by far the easiest way of going about it... as i have found out.

and demonx, is it possible to put an account password on a folder, but through OS X, no third party apps? that would be a good solution.