How to re-install Classic OS 9?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cwright, Jan 1, 2006.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

I want to re-install a Classic system on my G5, but I'm not having any luck :(

I have an OS 9.2.1 Install CD, but when I try to boot from it in Classic it says it won't work because it has to update something and can't update to a CD because it's not writable.

But when I copy the CD to the hard drive (so that its now on a writable volume) and boot it up, I get an error saying that system can only boot from the CD.

Any ideas how to get around this?? :confused:

2. umrdad macrumors member

if you another unit w/classic & FW can you connect and start the g5 in target mode?

or do the g5's even support classic?

3. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

The G5s do support classic... mine came with it preinstalled, but I deleted it a long time ago. None of the other computers in the house have a classic system either, so that won't work...

Unless any MR members have a small system folder they wouldn't mind sending me over AIM? :D :)

4. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

The G5's cannot boot in OS9, the only way you can run OS9 apps is if you run them in the classic environment within osx. You said that you are trying to boot fron the 9.2 disk in classic? then you already have classic installed.
    To reinstall classic you need to get the osx install disk and run the package that installs classic. AFAIK you cant install classic from a regular OS9 install disk.

5. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, Classic is already installed, I just no longer have an OS 9 system folder to boot from. The Classic preference pane will let you boot OS 9 directly from a CD but when I do that the OS 9 system gives me an error on bootup. I looked through my computer's system install disk but couldn't find anything... I'll keep looking though.

6. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nevermind!

I found the Classic installer on the Additional Software & Hardware Test CD :eek: