Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rarchy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Following on from my post below where I was having problems with time machine and migration assistant, I have decided I need to re-run set up assistant - so just wondered if someone can tell me how as I have googled and found a few ways and not 100% sure which is the best or correct.

My laptop is pretty new and I don't have any thing on here that I can't re-download so it isn't an inconvenience that it wipes everything and then I can get the files I want on my user name

Question - as I ran migration assistant and selected photos, it set up a new account with the files on, will it delete this user name and the files? Its better if it does so I can just start again and those files are on the hard drive so I can get them again with set up assistant

(Basically to summarise the other post for anyone who cares, I have old files I want from backups of an old computer (which has now died) and really struggling, entering time machine the normal way I can't find the files, going via finder I can find the files but it is incredibly slow (as it to find just one photo takes 30 mins, let alone whole folders), and doing the migration assistant sets up a separate user which i don't want and was just a massive faff)

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...acbook-snow-leopard-new-mbp-yosemite.1910963/

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
The only way I know is to do a full Yosemite OS Install via Restore (unless you have the full Yosemite installer available). Re-installing the OS SHOULD not effect your current data on your new Mac, BUT make sure you have a full, verified back up before performing just to be safe.

My preference would be to back up with a clone via Carbon Copy Cloner (my preferred), Super Duper, or Disk Utility. Make sure you boot from your cloned drive as a verify test before Restoring. Time Machine back ups can be challenging as you know.

BTW, use the same account name you currently use when you run the Setup Assistant.

Maybe someone else has a different idea.

rarchy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Hi, thanks - I don't mind losing what is on my mac as its new and I haven't downloaded anything, created any files etc so I dont think there is a need to back up this computer?
However, how do I do a full install? My laptop (macbook Pro 15") came with Yosemite if that makes a difference
I found this, is it the right way? http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/installing-or-reinstalling-os-x-yosemite-only-if-y.html
Thanks
Rachel
That is a good article with instructions. According to the article, I was wrong, it will not run the Setup Assistant because you had Yosemite already installed. Here is a link to search on: How to rerun Setup Assistant on Mac
Check out some of the search links. The first link recommends deleting a file (.AppleSetupDone) that makes the Mac think Setup Assistant has never been run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.