Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ouxis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
I found various bit of answers on this and other fora (forums), but I can't find a full answer. Maybe you can help.

The story :
On vacations, I shoot various movies on my Iphone 4. It got full, so I transfered 1g of videos to a PC and then continued shooting. I went home, and cleared some space on the phone and wanted to transfer back the videos to the iPhone as to edit the whole videos/pictures with Imovie for iPhone.

Now I can't find a way to transfer these videos back to my phone without Itunes "optimizing" them.

Questions ?
  • Is the optimizing process degrading the quality of videos and pictures so much that I need to find another way to transfer my files to the Iphone before I edit them in a new Imovie project ?
  • If so, how do I transfer full quality pictures and videos to my Iphone ? In a way that would enable me to use them in a Imovie project.

Also, I am using a PC with vista and an Iphone 4 with iOS 4.0.

Thank you for your help,

Ouxis

cleggster83

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Bolton, UK
I found various bit of answers on this and other fora (forums), but I can't find a full answer. Maybe you can help.

The story :
On vacations, I shoot various movies on my Iphone 4. It got full, so I transfered 1g of videos to a PC and then continued shooting. I went home, and cleared some space on the phone and wanted to transfer back the videos to the iPhone as to edit the whole videos/pictures with Imovie for iPhone.

Now I can't find a way to transfer these videos back to my phone without Itunes "optimizing" them.

Questions ?
  • Is the optimizing process degrading the quality of videos and pictures so much that I need to find another way to transfer my files to the Iphone before I edit them in a new Imovie project ?
  • If so, how do I transfer full quality pictures and videos to my Iphone ? In a way that would enable me to use them in a Imovie project.
Also, I am using a PC with vista and an Iphone 4 with iOS 4.0.

Thank you for your help,

Ouxis

Is your iPhone JB?

Have you tried to drag and drop them into the iphone (using the auto play list when the iphone is connected)

ouxis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Is your iPhone JB?

Have you tried to drag and drop them into the iphone (using the auto play list when the iphone is connected)

Thanks for your answer.

I tried drag and drop, but it only works FROM the phone and not TO the phone. For some reason, nothing happens when I try.

My iPhone is not jailbroken yet, but I'm ready to jailbreak if it's the only solution.

winman42

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
I'm having the same exact problem. When you say 'without' iTunes optimizing the videos, do you mean you have gotten the files onto the iPhone 4, and they
are usable in iMovie, but you are not sure they are full quality?

I ask because I've only been able to get the videos to show up in the iPod area for playback, but they DONT show in the camera roll.

thanks,

Win

ouxis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
That's absolutely right.

When you ask iTunes to sync these videos with your iPhone, they don't show up in my camera roll, but iMovie will let you use them for edit just like other videos that are still in your camera roll.

To sync the videos with the iPhone, you need to check "Include videos" option.

I'm still wondering whether the quality of the videos is good enough to edit them in iMovie. What do you think ?

Ouxis

winman42

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
Hmmm, where is this "include videos" option? I'll give it a try.

I assumed if the videos didnt show in the camera roll, they would not be available in the iMovie program.

I guess you could check the file size of the imported videos, to see if they are
different.

Win

winman42

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
Ok, I found the "include videos" option in the Photos tab, and ticked it. Dropped two files into the Movies area in Itunes, and did a sync....

Voila! The videos show in iMovie, so I can now edit them. I did notice that as you stated they DON'T show in the Camera roll, and they also DON'T show up in the iPod area for viewing, nor do they show up when I view the iPhone 4 files in windows explorer.

thanks for the help!!!

Win

ouxis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
I guess you could check the file size of the imported videos, to see if they are
different.

Win

I don't know how to do this. Do you have any advice ? Did you check the files of your videos after importing with iTunes ?

Thx

ouxis

winman42

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
When you dock the iPhone in windows, you get a box that pops up and asks me what I want to do. I chose OPEN DEVICE TO CHOOSE FILES, and then you can see the photos and videos in the camera roll.

However, after adding one of the iPhone 4 videos, they ONLY show in the iMovie app, so I couldn't view them this way.

I loaded two files with a total size of 397 meg. After joining them in iMovie, and adding simple titles, and 5 photos, the resulting 720P exported file was 433meg,
and I didn't notice any video degradation.

Hope that helps.

Win

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.