Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpefjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
I'm writing an Cocoa-Applescript Application in Xcode and would like to save / recall some Combo-box (NSComboBox) entries in the [AppName]-Info.plist file. I know I can write to a plist with the following AppleScript:

Code:
make new property list item at end of property list items of contents of plistfile with properties {kind:string, name:"stringName", value:"stringValue"}

But in order to use "plistfile" I need to set it to something like:

Code:
set plistfile to make new property list file with properties {contents:parent_dictionary, name:"/path/to/plistflle.plist"}

My question is how can I find the location of the [AppName]-Info.plist file from within AppleScript? Any help or pointers or suggestions would be most appreciated.

jpefjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
So it looks like the function CFBundleGetMainBundle() will return a CFBundleRef class in Obective-C. From there I send messages to get to the Info.plist file in the package Contents. Anyone know if there's a way for AppleScript to call CFBundleGetMainBundle() ?

jpefjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Instead of trying to call a C function can you call the class method mainBundle on NSBundle then call bundlePath on the returned NSBundle instance?

Thanks - that worked. I can now get the location of the bundle with:
Code:
property tempBundle : class "NSBundle"
set bundlePathValue to tempBundle's mainBundle()'s bundlePath()

jpefjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Any idea why when I add the following line to my Cocoa-Applescript Xcode project the OASCompile fails?

Code:
make new default entry at end of default entries of user defaults with properties {name:"myName", contents:"myValue"}

And the error from the compile is:
"testuserdefaults/AppDelegate.applescript:15: error: Expected end of line, etc. but found identifier. (-2741)
Command /usr/bin/osacompile failed with exit code 1"

Line 15 is the "make new default entry..." line. Any idea how I could get the writing (and reading) of user defaults? I would just use the NSUserDefaults class but I can't figure out how to get AppleScript to call the "setObject:forKey:" method which require two parameters.

jpefjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
That almost looks like AS Studio terminology. Refer to the AppleScriptObjC Release Notes for converting the method calls, for example

Code:
setObject:(id)value forKey:(NSString *)defaultName
becomes
Code:
setObject_forKey_(value, defaultName)

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. Now I can write to the ~/Library/Preferences/[identifier].plist file with the following:

Code:
    property myUserDef : class "NSUserDefaults"
    property tempUserDef : class "NSUserDefaults"

set myUserDef to tempUserDef's standardUserDefaults()
    set myRet to myUserDef's setObject_forKey_("myKey", "myValue")
    set myRet2 to myUserDef's synchronize()

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.