How To Read Windows-Formatted CDs??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diomedes, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Diomedes macrumors 6502

I received a CD from a Windows user that my Mac does not like. Every time I insert it, my SuperDrive spits it out. On a Windows PC, it opens fine. Aside from running VPC, is there a way to force OS X to read it?

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Open console under the utility folder and tell us what error message you get when you insert the cd?

Without knowing that, my guess right now would be that it is a type of cd-r that you superdrive cannot read rather than the file format it self. That is a shot in the dark though.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I thought CD's used a universal file format. There is no "Windows" or "Mac" CD format. Do other CD's work in your drive? Also, could this CD be scratched? I know my old iMac was finicky with scratched CD's that would work in other machines.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Actually there are several formats for data on a CD. Although a Mac is able to read most of those formats, including the ones generally used for windows.

5. Jsmit macrumors regular

I have encountered two CDs burned with a Windows machine that I could not open. One was photos and the other was some random files of my brother's. I was able to read disk with a PC... so it was not the condition of the CD in case.

My CD-R drive in my slot-loading iMac would just spun around for a while the I believe it spat them out. I may be wrong, it has been a while seen I've had a problem.

6. KershMan macrumors 6502

The CD may only have the session instead of the CD closed, which can cause problems. You really run into this if the Windows user is using Roxio DirectCD or similar and does not format the disk to work on any computer when the eject it. If you don't do this, any other computer without DirectCD will not read the CD as valid.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Rather than ejecting Windows CDs, my machine will try to process them and lock up occasionally. My dual 800 with SuperDrive is worse than my blue and white G3 with CD-ROM drive.

8. Diomedes thread starter macrumors 6502

The CD itself seems fine...my Dell desktop reads it just fine.

So am I out of luck? The CD contains some pretty important information...unfortunately, I can't go back to the person who gave it to me and ask them to format it properly.

9. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

Are your Mac and Dell networked? Why not just copy it to your Dell desktop, then transfer it over to your Mac? Or even re-burn a new CD correctly?

10. mikey.c macrumors member

mikey.c

Maybe you could down load the info off the disc onto your Dell and reburn it onto a new disc,
    then try it on the mac. (It might work).

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you do re-create it, burn it in ISO 9660 format.

Easy CD Creator can do that, as can Toast on the Mac.

12. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

time to get a usb memory cards.

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

That's how I transport all my data nowadays.

14. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

For sure! By watching dealmac I ended up with a 1 GB USB cruzer for $50!.

But if they needs the data ASAP, the CD burner on their Dell is a better bet!

15. cubist macrumors 68020

Well, I've noticed that some CD drives won't read some media. For example, I have an old CRT iMac which won't read "silver" CD-Rs, only the "blue" ones. I also have a CD-RW that won't write "blue" media reliably.

I agree with the other comments tho, if you have two machines they should be networked, which makes the problem just a shrugger.

16. Diomedes thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a good idea...I hadn't even thought of that.