Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
I installed XP using bootcamp all went well. Then I realized that I wished i would of made the XP partition bigger, so I went in to resize the OSX one to give Bootcamp more but that clearly did not work.

Now I am back to the way it was but I got this one part that's ~11gb and I can't make the OSX partition any bigger to utilize this other 11gb that seems to be lost.

I can make that 11gb some random parition but I want to basically give it back to OSX or if I can somehow give it to bootcamp.

Can someone please help?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-12-05 at 8.25.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-12-05 at 8.25.50 PM.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 135

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Drag the Macintosh HD partition down to fill the space. See the little symbol in the lower right corner of that section of the display? That means it can be dragged.

jW

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Drag the Macintosh HD partition down to fill the space. See the little symbol in the lower right corner of that section of the display? That means it can be dragged.

jW

I tried that many times.. it wont work. At first it would just do it but not actually expand to the full size, but now it started crashing after I hit apply.

The computer actually crashes. My screen goes darker and a pop up appears telling me to reboot the computer holding the Pwr Button. The pop says that in like 4-5 different languages.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
I installed XP using bootcamp all went well. Then I realized that I wished i would of made the XP partition bigger, so I went in to resize the OSX one to give Bootcamp more but that clearly did not work.

Now I am back to the way it was but I got this one part that's ~11gb and I can't make the OSX partition any bigger to utilize this other 11gb that seems to be lost.

I can make that 11gb some random parition but I want to basically give it back to OSX or if I can somehow give it to bootcamp.

Can someone please help?

Get a backup of your system like right now.

Unless you can figure out how to fix your partitioning layout the clean alternative is to start by completely erasing your disk and re-installing the operating system from scratch ... then recovering your system from a backup.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
I hope this can help you. It did for me https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1179240/

That is to delete the actual Bootcamp partition which I dont really want to do.

Get a backup of your system like right now.

Unless you can figure out how to fix your partitioning layout the clean alternative is to start by completely erasing your disk and re-installing the operating system from scratch ... then recovering your system from a backup.

Hm, yah Ill run time machine.

So no idea how to reclaim this 11gb?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Hm, yah Ill run time machine.

So no idea how to reclaim this 11gb?

If you are getting kernel panics when you are trying to resize the partition (which you are), that is a bad sign. The best way to reclaim it is to make a clone of the partitions (Disk Utility and Winclone can make/restore clones), reboot into the recovery partition, repartition the drive and restore the clones back to the drive.

At this point it is possible that the partition tricks that Lion uses to create the recovery partition have caused problems with your drive's partition map. Your method is correct, but the kernel panics are causing it to not work.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
If you are getting kernel panics when you are trying to resize the partition (which you are), that is a bad sign. The best way to reclaim it is to make a clone of the partitions (Disk Utility and Winclone can make/restore clones), reboot into the recovery partition, repartition the drive and restore the clones back to the drive.

At this point it is possible that the partition tricks that Lion uses to create the recovery partition have caused problems with your drive's partition map. Your method is correct, but the kernel panics are causing it to not work.

Can you explain that in just a little bit more detail?

Basically use Winclone to make a clone of the bootcamp partition? And use Disk utility to clone the OSX part?

Then boot into the recovery and wipe the hard disk. But then how do I get to the winclone backup/image to restore?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I tried that many times.. it wont work. At first it would just do it but not actually expand to the full size, but now it started crashing after I hit apply.

The computer actually crashes. My screen goes darker and a pop up appears telling me to reboot the computer holding the Pwr Button. The pop says that in like 4-5 different languages.

Did you try while booted from the OS Install Disk? If not, give that a try, and just make very sure that you read the drop-down menu and that it specifically says that no partitions will be erased (just in case).

jW

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Did you try while booted from the OS Install Disk? If not, give that a try, and just make very sure that you read the drop-down menu and that it specifically says that no partitions will be erased (just in case).

jW

Try to resize it back to its original size you mean, instead of doing it in OSX?

I'll try that tonight I'll boot into the Recovery HD part and use Disk Utility to adjust the size.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Try to resize it back to its original size you mean, instead of doing it in OSX?

I'll try that tonight I'll boot into the Recovery HD part and use Disk Utility to adjust the size.

Yep. That should do it. If not, there may be something deeper that would require the erase and restore suggestion from others.

jW

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
So I just tried this under the Recovery HD part when booting.

When I resize it and hit apply it gives me an error saying.

error: unable unmount disk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.