How to reconnect mouse after batteries fail?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tumbleweed666, May 26, 2010.

1. macrumors 68000

I've got a Mighty Mouse, when the batteries die, and after I have put new ones it, it wont automatically connect back to it, I have to open up the bluetooth preferences box to get it to see it, which I have to do via a wired mouse :D

is there a keystroke or some such I can use to recognize the mouse quickly instead?

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try turning the mouse off, then on. Try turning Bluetooth off, then on. Try logging out/in or rebooting.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Doesn't work

That works but I'm using a wired mouse to do it !! Hence my Q, is there a quick way to do it via the keyboard?

Easier to stick with the wired mouse

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How often do you have to do this? I replace batteries in my mouse once every 3-5 months.

5. macrumors 6502a

What kind of mouse are you using? I would change the batteries in my wireless Mighty Mouse every three months or so. My Magic Mouse batteries need changing at least once a week (using rechargeables).

For the OP, I turn the mouse off, change the batteries, turn it back on & then click the mouse.

6. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX™
    [​IMG]

OUCH!

7. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sure its no biggie, I guess once every 4-6 weeks, but I just discovered the reason - Doh! Bluetooth on my iMac was not set up as discoverable how embarassing :eek:

8. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks for letting us know! Too many would just disappear without ever telling if or how they resolved it. Glad it's working for you now!

9. macrumors newbie

Changing the batteries and turning it on did nothing. BUT, the click suggested here was the winner for me. One click and back it was!!

10. macrumors regular

Bkxmnr

Not to resurrect such an old thread, but the bluetooth on my mini is set to "discoverable" and it will not reconnect to the magic mouse after I replace the batteries. Frustrating!

11. macrumors newbie

This has been a constant source of frustration... the indignity of plugging in a Microsoft mouse to enable the Apple one...

If I had read PeggyD's reply more carefully the first time, I would not have found the same answer staring at me in the manual...:

"You may have to click your Apple Magic Mouse once to reconnect it with your Mac."

Doh! :eek: