How to record video of my app

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by EmptyPockets, Apr 22, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

Hey,

I was wondering if you guys could recommend a way to record video of my new app Durak. (available now www.itunes.com/apps/durak :D )

I wanted to do a screen capture using the simulator but I need to somehow use a different mouse to look like a thumb or a circle.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrey

2. macrumors member

Find a nice surface, put white paper on it, and get a video camera out. Do it just like the apple ads lol.

3. macrumors 68000

Except the Apple ads get to have fun with video out. :p

Your choices are (in order of popularity [or rather likeliness]):

1) Film the actual iPhone and the actual hand together like most people (though it's harder to see the app and it's not as nice).

2) Use a video capture application (like iShow) with the simulator and just live with the mouse or tell the application to not capture the mouse.

3) Use a video capture application (like iShow) with the simulator and make sure to tell the application to not capture the mouse then in the video editor, overlay a circle.

4) Use a video capture application (like iShow) with the simulator and make sure to tell the application to not capture the mouse. Then film your hands over a green screen with a monitor next to you so you can follow the speed of the movie. Then overlay that footage above the simulator video.

5) Modify your iPhone to support video out (I don't think anyone has done this) so you get all the icons as well as accelerometer support (if you need it). Then film your hands over a green screen with a monitor next to you so you can follow the speed of the movie. Then overlay that footage above the video out footage which is bordered by the simulator's border.

Or, you know, don't film anything :p.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

That was very informative. Thanks for the help

5. macrumors member

6. thread starter macrumors regular

7. thread starter macrumors regular

8. macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Hey - that's very cool.

so you used iPhonefinger... how did you capture the actual iPhone screens? What software did you use?

I'd like to give this a go.

Cheers,

Rod.

9. thread starter macrumors regular

10. macrumors 68000

Nice! I forgot about replacing the mouse cursor :).

Looks great! :D

11. macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

OK cool. My first app (Top-Tens: www.itunes.com/apps/top-tens) has just gone on sale today!!! Yay!!

So I'll grab a copy of iShowu HD and see what I can put together this weekend!

Thanks,

Rod.

12. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all