How to reduce crime

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jan 26, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

So, the Right Wing has long been pushing the model of reducing police forces, making them primarily reactive rather than pro-active, and sending repeat offenders to prison for ever longer sentences, even life sentences for some property crimes. "3 strikes and you're out!" and all that. Making the U.S. the world leader in incarceration, even though violent crime rates are mediocre.

The incarceration rate data is here for those who like to read sources:

http://www.idcr.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WPPL-9-22.pdf

What if a method exists that works better? The following article explains how crime and prison populations can fall at the same time:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/26/nyregion/police-have-done-more-than-prisons-to-cut-crime-in-new-york.html?pagewanted=1&gwh=7704E92D6DDDBC721D997B8BD452810A&ref=general&src=me

The quick summary is, take money, and prisoners, from the prison system, and, put policemen, visibly, on the street (some policies also known as community-based policing), and, adding to that, a focus on current "hot spots"-- something new that was hard to do before computerization.

Now, I am sure everyone is aware of the controversy regarding the stop-and-frisk aspect of the latest New York policy, but, even without it, the statistics show a reduction in cost and crime:

2. macrumors 68020

MICHAELSD

Make people more wary of commiting crimes. Longer sentences are key to removing these options from people's thinking and making them more rational.

3. macrumors G4

Mord

Easy, sort out the drug laws, treat it as a medical issue and see both crime and the prison population tumble.

I think you'll eventually get there, the DEA and assorted pro-prohibition lobbyists will just kick dragging and screaming all the way.

4. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

I second that, the "War on Drugs" is not working.:(

I also think that a society were there is real hope to make a better future for yourself, will produce less crime. (That means to eliminate the causes of poverty)

5. macrumors 68000

thewitt

There is no drug crime in Singapore.

Dealers are executed.

Users are put thru mandatory rehab, unless they hold enough drugs to be considered a dealer, then see above...

6. macrumors G4

Mord

Haha, given how much it costs to execute someone in the US you can't even afford such a draconian regime, not that any sane person would want it.

7. macrumors 6502a

Not if they have little to no other options.

The wealth devide needs to start diminishing instead of ever increasing, criminals have to be prepared for re-entry into society and have to get another chance,...

Plenty of things to do that will actually help instead of ever incrasing prison sentences wich only wreate repeat offenders.

8. Guest

eric/

Legalize all drugs, work on social safety nets, and educate people

9. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

What do you mean by "work on" social safety nets?

10. Guest

eric/

Get rid of in efficiency , get rid of obamacare and institute an actual national health care, stop sending people to college with loads of debt, etc

11. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

How does one simply "get rid of" inefficiency?

In a large and complex society of competing needs and desires it would seem to me that inefficiency is to a degree "baked into the cake".

I will agree that one always needs to keep an eye on reforming programs to be as efficient as reasonably plausible, but getting rid of it is simply not a realistic goal.

But I quibble.

12. Guest

eric/

Totally removing it yeah not possible with humans involved, but we can definitely do things to reduce it. I can tell you from my dealings with the VA even, that there is a lot of red tape and other problems that could be removed if somebody just did it. It's part of the solution, though, and that's what is important

13. macrumors 68000

thewitt

Justice is very swift in this part of the world. Trials are within weeks of arrests. Sentences are immediate.

There is very little crime other than petty street crime.

The US could learn a great deal about reducing crime by studying how Singapore and Malaysia deal with it,

Nothing draconian about it. Many millions of people live here quite happily and safely.

14. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Like sentencing people to death for just possessing firearms in "gun free zones"?

Now there's an idea the U.S. should adopt.

Too bad I don't support capital punishment.

:(

15. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Good luck getting an actual national health care. Obama care was put in place more to try to get some GOP on board and it was originally a GOP idea.

We need all that but sadly I do not see the GOP letting any of it happen.

16. macrumors 601

Don't panic

this is exactly the opposite of what the article suggests.

the key would be a preventive approach rather that a punitive one

17. macrumors G4

skunk

Unfortunately for proponents of such neat schemes, the Singaporean justice system is just as capable of wrongful conviction, corruption, venality and nepotism as any other. Besides, the arbitrary nature of drug classification becomes an obscenity if it capriciously deprives someone of their life.

18. macrumors G5

yg17

Great idea, because capital punishment has put a stop to murders in the US :rolleyes:

19. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

How about the government doesn't kill anyone no matter how right or fair it seems.

20. macrumors G4

skunk

That would be nice.

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013

thread starter macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I wonder how many people stopped to read and understand the article. There have been many empirical studies since about 1995 that show the effectiveness of the "hot spot policing" strategy.

The executive summary is that community-based, crime-prevention-oriented policing, with the added new strategy of "hot spot policing", results in both lower cost and lower crime than the "longer sentences" strategy that has been fashionable during the last 30 years.

"Longer sentences" might deter you, but, the average criminal is at best thinking about the odds of getting caught. If the odds appear low, then the outcome is assumed to be not getting caught, not a long sentence.

To respond directly to your point, this question seems to be answered by the fact that most crime is not committed by rational long-term thinkers, but, by impulsive short-term thinkers who have the opportunity. Hot-spot policing puts cops on the beat, near the housing and the accessible crime locations of the criminals, and, it turns out, this has a major impact on the number of crimes committed.

The bottom line is that with the right policing strategy, hiring more police is a more cost-effective strategy than hiring more prison guards.

22. macrumors 6502

lannister80

No thanks. I like my due process just fine, Judge Dredd.