How to reinstall java on mac os x 10.4.8?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by julian of amber, Feb 28, 2007.

1. julian of amber macrumors newbie

I accidentaly erased some java folders from my computer which is running 10.4.8 . So all java applications don't work for now. I tried to reinstall java, but I couldn't find a way to do it. Java doesn't appear on software update, also I downloaded some Java packages from apple's webpage to manula install them; but they give a "unable to locate existing java" error and doesn't install. Can someone help me how to install java on tiger again?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unfortunately, I think you're going to have to do an Archive and Install of Mac OS X, and reinstall all your applications (use the Preserve Users and Network Settings option when doing the archive and install) to get things working properly again.

The reason why the installers don't work is because they are actually updaters. If the existing Java install on your Mac is broken, they won't work right.

3. julian of amber thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the answer. Though the answer is a little bit disappointing. So just for the sake of reinstalling Java Environment I should reinstall the whole OS? :confused: This is what I was afraid of. Even for the windows , which lots of mac users mock with, it's a simple process to uninstall or reinstall the java packages. So it really doesn't make sense of having to reinstall whole OS for installing a simple framework. Don't get me wrong, it's your answer which disappointed me; it's Apple which disappointed me. It says "world's most advanced os", which sounds pretty doubtful to me by the moment.

besides, anyone else has another offer for solution?

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

5. julian of amber thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, I tried most of them already. They all give the same error I mentioned at my first message. I think I need the java package that comes with the tiger dvd, though I don't know how to take a specific single file from Tiger DVD. :confused:

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

A program called Pacifist may help you here.

7. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

At Terminal.app can you run java -version to see what VM you're running?

Binaries for java are symlinked under /usr/bin/ back to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework

/usr/lib/java includes all the dynamically linked libraries.

8. julian of amber thread starter macrumors newbie

when I make "java -version" it gives "-bash: java: command not found" message. I suppose all of my java gone rubbish at the moment. Java packages on Apple webpage doesn't work me either; they are all updates and when I run the installers they all say "existing java installation couldn't be found" . I need java; though I don't wanna reinstall the whole os for Java at the middle of semester.

So I suppose I've two choices. I've got another mac which runs on panther. Is it possible if I copy the required java folders from it and just drop to my tiger? If so, can anyone tell me which folders needed to be copied.

Another solution might be, can anyone have the ripped java package from tiger dvd? I tried to do it with pacisift, but I could've no success :(. If anyone has it and can send me the package I will be thankful.

I'm waiting for your answers & advices.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I still think a couple of those installer packages are not updates, but I don't feel like trying.

Just do an archive and install of the OS , you will be fine - it simply replaces the System and leaves your apps, settings, etc...

Next time don't "accidentally" erase things...

10. julian of amber thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought the same way too and tried all of them; they are all updates. So it leaves no doubt at that topic.

I'm not planning ti make archive&install; I even couldn't do if I wanted to do so. I don't have required harddisk space for that unfortunately.

thanks for the advise, it's of no use for now; but next time it will work flawless probably :D .

besides, I really don't get why do I have to reinstall whole OS just to get Java working again? As I said before it's really a simple process both for windows & linux. So I still believe it should be as easy as that for mac os x too if not simpler. If I really have to reinstall the whole OS for just to make java work again, I think Apple should reconsider one of their ad slogans : "The most advanced OS" .

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The JVM is controlled by Apple not Sun. You screwed up your own environment, so there is no need to complain about the OS. This is a simple case of a EBKAC problem.

A simple Archive and Install is easy, in my opinion. If you don't have enough space, simply copy some crap to DVD, network drive, or external hard drive to make room.

Alternatively, you could try to recreate the symlinks that you blew away - still not sure how one can manage that - and see if that fixes your problem.

I'm not at my mac at the moment, but perhaps someone could dump the output from Terminal. You should also dump the output from the second command below to see which JVMs you have installed.

ls -ltr /usr/bin/j*

ls -ltr /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/*

The java commands are a nasty symlink nest, so I wish you luck. If you don't want to hassle, you could add the appropriate bin folder to your PATH. For example, /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home/bin

12. julian of amber thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, I just tried whay you told and guess what; it worked like a charm. thanks a lot friend; you saved me from lots of trouble & waste of time. I'm really thankful to you.

I suppose my belief that "there should be an easier way than to reinstall OS" is true.:rolleyes: Thanks again for showing me that way. :)

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I'm curious what would happen if you try to install one of the updates now (such as Release 5). I wonder if the symlinks would get recreated.

14. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

15. julian of amber thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, I just installed release 4 update, it just works fine :).

16. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Did the symlinks get recreated in /usr/bin?

17. zahadum macrumors newbie

reinstall java from osx dvd | how2 to perform an optional install

(A) firstly, it is possible to innocently lose ones java (VM framework) - i just discovered my java was totally MIA (not just broken symlinks) from my old tiger partition when i was forced to NOT boot from my leopard partition (because of some weird "no root user" err msg).

so, yes, it is possible!

(B) secondly, these other guys are dead wrong about how to get java back ...

an archive/reninstall of all of osx is totally unnecessary!

yes, the osx dvd is all you need ...
    no, pacifist not required at all ...
    yes, the procedure on the mac for adding java is just as simple as win/linux!

1) navigate to this location on the dvd:
    SYSTEMƒ => INSTALLATIONƒ => PACKAGESƒ

2) select (and launch) the correct installer displayed from that list:
    "JAVA.PKG"

TaDa!

ps: strangely, the osx software updater does not "see" the fresh (re)install of java & thus does not offer to perform an update automatically :-(

and the updates from the url mentioned by other posters here (at the apple support download site) only covers U5, U6, U7, U8 ... but these all require that the previous updates (U1-U4) have already been applied!

so that is a bit annoying! ... not to mention inconvenient if you want to run a (remotely) modern version of java such as 1.5 (aka Java2).

the solution to this /apparent/ anomaly?:

you must install java 1.5 separately from the base of ver 1.4! - and then proceed to separately download each of the java updates for tiger (one of these seems to actually be a combos update - that include upgrades for ver 1.3 and ver1.4 but nothing for ver 1.5).

you must kick-start the procedure by first installing the first edition/update of java2 aka ver 1.5.

fyi: here are the urls that are returned from a search at apple support with the keywords
    Java for Mac OS X 10.4, Release 'x' (where x = 1-8).

=> these are not listed at the software downloads site (requires the search):

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Java_2_SE_5_0_Release_1
    [http://support.apple.com/downloads/Java_1_3_1_and_1_4_2_Release_2 ?]
    http://support.apple.com/downloads/Java_2_SE_5_0_Release_3
    http://support.apple.com/downloads/J2SE_5_0_Release_4__PPC_

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Java_for_Mac_OS_X_10_4_Release_5
    http://support.apple.com/downloads/Java_for_Mac_OS_X_10_4__Release_6
    http://support.apple.com/downloads/Java_for_Mac_OS_X_10_4__Release_7
    [http://support.apple.com/downloads/Java_for_Mac_OS_X_10_4__Release_8 ?]

note: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3373 _does_ exist!?

.... these updates are soooo much grief!

sigh :-( ... isnt that want the freak'n' AUTO-UPDATER is supposed to do?!