Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubs83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
How do I go about wiping my hard drive clean and giving my macbook air a fresh install? I currently run an older OS (Maverick I believe) and want to do a fresh install and then install the newest OS Yosemite.

I'm new to use mac computers so a little confused on how this process works.

thanks for the help!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you have ANYTHING on your MBAir that you want to keep? (pictures, music, movies, your own documents, or apps that you want to keep?)
If not, then it's simple.
Boot to your recovery system (Restart, while holding Command-R)
On the menu screen, open Disk Utility, then choose your drive, and Click erase. (remember, erasing means you lose everything that is not already backed up).
When that finishes - only takes a few seconds - your drive is erased. Quit Disk Utility, then click Reinstall OS X.
It will download files needed to reinstall the OS X system, and will take anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour, mostly depending on the speed of your internet connection. It will then boot to the new user setup - the same as when your MBAir was new. If you want to upgrade to Yosemite, Go to the App Store, choose Yosemite to download, it is free, so no charge for a download of Yosemite. Going through the App Store also gives you the most recent update to Yosemite.
So, you wait some more to let Yosemite download, Run the install, and there you are!

That's one way - and takes longer to complete.
Here's a shorter method to erase, to install Yosemite on the first step.

Download the Yosemite installer first. Use one of the methods to create a bootable Yosemite installer on a USB flash drive.
I like to use the good app called DiskMakerX. It lets you easily make a USB installer partition or drive, without needing to use the terminal for anything.
Boot to that flash drive.
Erase your MBAir boot drive, then continue with the OS X install. It will be much faster, because you don't need to wait for anything to download through your internet connection (it's all in the installer!)
And, you will eventually see the new user setup...

dubs83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Do you have ANYTHING on your MBAir that you want to keep? (pictures, music, movies, your own documents, or apps that you want to keep?)
If not, then it's simple.
Boot to your recovery system (Restart, while holding Command-R)
On the menu screen, open Disk Utility, then choose your drive, and Click erase. (remember, erasing means you lose everything that is not already backed up).
When that finishes - only takes a few seconds - your drive is erased. Quit Disk Utility, then click Reinstall OS X.
It will download files needed to reinstall the OS X system, and will take anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour, mostly depending on the speed of your internet connection. It will then boot to the new user setup - the same as when your MBAir was new. If you want to upgrade to Yosemite, Go to the App Store, choose Yosemite to download, it is free, so no charge for a download of Yosemite. Going through the App Store also gives you the most recent update to Yosemite.
So, you wait some more to let Yosemite download, Run the install, and there you are!

That's one way - and takes longer to complete.
Here's a shorter method to erase, to install Yosemite on the first step.

Download the Yosemite installer first. Use one of the methods to create a bootable Yosemite installer on a USB flash drive.
I like to use the good app called DiskMakerX. It lets you easily make a USB installer partition or drive, without needing to use the terminal for anything.
Boot to that flash drive.
Erase your MBAir boot drive, then continue with the OS X install. It will be much faster, because you don't need to wait for anything to download through your internet connection (it's all in the installer!)
And, you will eventually see the new user setup...

Awesome. I'll go the first route. Appreciate the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.