How to Reinstall Safari?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by corwintheking, Feb 10, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

My roommate accidentaly deleted some of my applications. I reinstalled most of them easily (like adium, camino, etc...) but I faced some problems with installing Safari and Ichat. I could find no place to download a Safari version which fits 10.4.4 . I just found 2.0.1 Safari update which says " you can't install 'cos you don't have 10.4.2 installed on that partition". Then I decided to reinstall 10.4.4 update. After reinstalling the update, ichat started to work fine. Safari also again appeared in Applications menu. But it doesn't launch when I try to execute it :( . Is there anyone who knows what can I do about this? I don't have Tiger DVD with me right now ( it's on home right now and I'm at dormitory unfortunately). Anyone who knows a place I can download a Safari version for MacOSX 10.4.4?

2. macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I believe that if you insert the OS X install DVD, then you can choose a custom installation and choose to only install Safari, or any app for that matter.

3. Moderator emeritus

yellow

No, I don't think that can be done..

Google for Pacifist. Then use that to extract the Safari installation package from the installer DVD/CD.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is that I don't have the installer DVD with me right now :(. It would take nearly a week for me to get it if they post it to me. Is there nowhere on web I can find the download for safari? right now I'm using camino, but it's nowhere near good as safari :( .

5. macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'd FTP you my Safari.app file (and whatever else whas required) but I'm still on Panther, so I don't have version 2. :(

Would something like that work though if you found someone else with version 2?

6. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Don't know if this is a full install or an update (like it says):

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/safari.html

Otherwise, no, there's no way I'd trust a random download of Safari (excapt maybe from Shard :))

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

that's version 1.2 of Safari which is for Panther. that doesn't solve my problem. anyway thanks for answering.

8. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Then you need to borrow someone's installer or wait until you get your own or take your chances on a random download that you find.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your answer shard :). yeah, maybe that would work. But unfortunately I don't know anyone at dormitory who uses a mac (not many people know even "what is a mac" here ). So before I try it, I need to find someone who use 10.4.4? ;)

10. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Surely someone here has it and could host it/FTP it to you... anyone?.... anyone?.... Buhler?.....

11. Moderator emeritus

yellow

corwintheking, PM your email address and I'll email you a zipped Safari.
    It's 1.2MB, so not big at all.

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved

I solved the problem. :) thanks to yellow.

13. macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm glad someone here was able to help you out - I didn't think it would be that difficult to get you a copy. ;)

Good work yellow, the check's in the mail... :p