how to remotely access my mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Punkwaffle, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Punkwaffle macrumors regular

Punkwaffle

I want to remotely access my mac. I have done tons of searches about VNC and realize this is the way to go.

Now the $64,000 question....
    I want to be able to control my mac from anywhere in the world on any computer without downloading any client software. I want to control it through a web browser. I know this can be done.

Can someone please tell me how, or perhaps point me in the direction of a good step by step tutorial?

Thanks.

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I've never heard of such a thing for the Mac.

Apple Remote Desktop would be the way I'd go... that and SSH, but apparently you've already made up your mind.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I've never heard of or seen something that can do what you're asking...but apparently you already know it can be done, so there's no problem :p

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It can be done with VNC and windows. Its not the nicest though. Its kind of slow and stuff. I don't think it is available with os x.

5. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

ive never heard of anything that can do that. remote desktop or VNC are the only things i know that can remotly control a computer, and they each require a client on whatever computer you are using. but, as its been pointed out, since you know it can be done, why dont you tell the rest of us?

6. gallivant macrumors member

Dunno about the Mac version, but the VNC server I set up on my Windows machine in under five minutes has an easy-to-access Java client. I point any Java-capable web browser at the right IP address with :8000 tacked onto the end, and pow, I'm in my computer.

That said, Linux and Mac systems tend to have good clients built-in, and a Windows client takes up almost no space, so I carry one around on my USB memory stick.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sounds secure :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You can set it up to go through SSH. So, in that case its as secure as ssh and a lot of people trust secure shell. It can't be that bad if the proper measures are taken.

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I know, really lol!

But i assume theres a password or something...

Also, he/she carries the program on his/her flash drive

10. gallivant macrumors member

Well, the Java one's an unsecured password; another reason I don't use it very much. But anything with a proper client is tunnelled through SSH, and is therefore pretty dang secure.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

One thing you might consider is to set up a terminal applet on a webserver that has basic capabilities, such as SSH, FTP, telnet and such, and access your Mac remotely from this terminal. It won't be graphical, but if you know UNIX commands fairly well, you can do practically anything.