How to remove Apple crapware?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mark28, Jul 30, 2011.

1. macrumors 68000

I used Disk Utility doing a full erase and still the recovery HD is there. Do I have to remove with the terminal or something? ( if so, what commands do I need to use? )

( I'm putting SL on it, that's why I want it gone )

2. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'd imagine you could install SL and then use Disk Utility to erase the restore partition. I doubt you can get rid of it while running Lion.

3. macrumors 68030

Why would you consider the recovery HD crapware???? It is the same as putting in an old OS disk, except its extremely fast and always there...I would say that is EXTREMELY useful!

4. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If he's going back to SL and doesn't plan on using Lion for a while then it's useless.

5. macrumors newbie

Useful? It feels a little "Windowish"... I have never needed to reinstall/repair any Mac OS X version. Why have Apple all of a sudden decided that there is a need for this?

I deleted the restore partition using disktool on Snow Leopards install DVD after booting from it.

6. macrumors 68030

baryon

The recovery partition is... a partition. It won't get removed if you format your system partition. You need to delete the recovery partition and your system partition, and merge them to form a new partition. That way, you'll get rid of the recovery partition.

7. macrumors 68040

The functionality of the Recovery partition used to be provided by the OS X disc, which doesn't exist for Lion. For 99.9% of users, this "crapware" will make life much easier should their system ever need (software) repairs.

8. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Where is this partition and how big is it?

I can't see it anywhere in Disk Utility. :confused:

9. macrumors 68030

Ummm, it is identical to when you pop in the SL disk and boot off of it...just because its on the hard drive now and not having to search for a disc it's windowish? I think you have no clue what your talking about. The only way to repair disk permissions is with this utility....and if you have ever used a mac for more than checking your email you would know this is a very important feature....only difference is, now it is as fast as your OS...instead of buffering off a slow as hell dvd.

10. macrumors 68030

It's hidden, you can only see it in an external disk utility...so either log into it (meaning you can't delete it from there) or boot off a dvd or usb drive (you might be able to delete it from there).

The space required is completely negligible, since it doesn't contain the installer info (which is what takes up space)..if you need to reinstall it will download the latest version.

11. macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

12. macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

It's a partition, not crapware. Please ...

13. macrumors 65816

Infrared

In a Terminal window:

Code:
    diskutil list

14. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Cheers. :)

I see it's only 650 MB, no wonder I hadn't noticed any missing disk space.

15. thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, managed to get rid of it :)

16. macrumors 68030

If you type:

in a terminal window you can see it's contents.

[​IMG]