how to remove ".dstore" ???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 10-Dee-Q, Jan 29, 2007.

1. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    Hi, i'm a swicter . i've been delighted with my move to apple but this litte thing disturb me a little,
    when i move a file, let's say a photo titled "apple" from my macbook to my handphone memmory card , when i use the same memmory card on my Windows pc it always show additional files :
    .Dstore
    .apple
    and the apple.jpg it self.

Can anyone tell me how to make my macbook to not automaticall transfer those files when i move a file to my memorycard ?
    cause the memory card is limited in space and those junk is filling up fast.

I only notice it happen when i move the file, be it photo,music,or annything, if i use memorycard reader on my macbook, if i use bluetooth to transfer, it doens't have that problem.

can anyone help?
    thx.

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

pretty sure if you delete them, they come right back when you bring it back to the mac.

its part of the OSX file system thingy.

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Those files are used by the Mac in the background and are created whenever a Mac writes to a directory that it has not written to. The '.' prefix makes them invisible in Unix/OSX/Linux type OSes but Windows proudly displays them for you to see. The files are small (7kB) from what I've seen so it would take roughly 142 of them to take up the first 1MB of "wasted space".

I did find this link that appears to have an answer to your question by doing a quick google of .DS_Store

Edit : the link appears to stop writing the .DS_Store to network disks.... locally I think you'll just have to live with it or go into the terminal and manually delete .DS_Store using "rm".

Edit2 : There are also utilities that can clean out the .DS_Store files from a directory of your choosing if you do a quick Google search but you can probably create and AppleScript that would do the same thing.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Open a Terminal. Type:-

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

Logout and in again. No more .ds_store files, ever :)

EDIT : Too damn slow :(

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah... I was thrown off for a moment (it should be .ds_store, and not .dstore). But that link does show how to suppress it for network volumes...I'm not sure that your phone would be considered a network volume. In fact I suppose it wouldn't. The files are basically put there to give OS X metadata type features that the filesystem of the phone does not allow / offer.

I'm not sure why it's transferring an apple.jpg though...that's new to me.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's the file the OP wanted to move. Read the post again :p

B

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:D

Oh, oops, I get it now. :eek:

8. 10-Dee-Q thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm, i dont get it what do you mean by too damn slow ?

Does doing that will makes my mac slow ?

THX all for the reply but i haven't find a solutions yet :(

Not only it takes up "some" spaces , it also doesn't look neat , with lots of files cluttering arround, cause i use mac and windows machine, and my phone also connected to mac and windows machine too :(

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

You are not going to find a way to eliminate them on local disks (drives, card readers...etc) but you can use the link in my post or the instructions in dynamicv's post to eliminate the creation on networked drives.

You can write a command line script or possibly an Apple script to do your copying (drag files over the script and have it prompt for a location to copy to) and then have the script remove the .DS_Store files. However anytime you re-write to that directory OSX will re-create the .DS_Store file.

There are couple 3rd party apps that will help remove them, some mention stopping the creation, but you might have to pay money for these solutions.

10. Queso macrumors G4

No, you're alright. I just meant that someone got the solution in before me :D

That one in sabor's link is only $10. Fair price if it's bugging you that much.

11. 10-Dee-Q thread starter macrumors 6502