Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewisozz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
United Kingdom
Hi i just bought a MBA 2 days ago and and it got a minor scratch on the front next to the apple logo. Any tips on removing ???

khosna

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
I scratched mine on the bottom with my watch when I was putting in my case. Don't care too much about the bottom but would like to know in case it happens on the top.

ddd269

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Torrance, CA

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I would love to know how I can fix scratches so that I can take care of them as they occur.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Any scratch remover that works with existing iPods / iPhone aluminum would work great. Try expanding your search to include those products as well...

lewisozz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
United Kingdom
Brasso

Do You Think Brasso Would Help ???

Attachments

• brasso.jpg
    brasso.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 4,669

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I don;t think it's at all a good idea to use an abrasive like brasso or mrclean on a surface like the MBA. It's ok on polished stainless steel and shiny surfaces, but it may ruin the appearance of the MBA surface further. Unless somebody can test first, I really would NOT recommend it!

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
NO NO... that stuff is more for polished steel surfaces like the bezel of the iphone or backing of the iPod Classic....

i have tried using this once and got less than desirable results. Brass is an abrasive cleaner, it actually removes a fine layer of the surface that it is applied on. I don't believe that this should be used on Aluminum Mac surfaces.

lewisozz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
United Kingdom
i could test it with superdrive ???

Could I Test It On The Superdrive ??? What could i use instead of brasso that you can buy in the supermarket or hardware store ???

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 171

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
I don;t think it's at all a good idea to use an abrasive like brasso or mrclean on a surface like the MBA. It's ok on polished stainless steel and shiny surfaces, but it may ruin the appearance of the MBA surface further. Unless somebody can test first, I really would NOT recommend it!

LOL, must have been typing this at the same time!

Could I Test It On The Superdrive ???

I wouldn't... Just search for an aluminum polish -- they have to exist. BRASSO is DANGEROUS.

lewisozz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
United Kingdom
Nooooooooo!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Ohh weel could i use brasso on my iphone for the screen or just the back and the silver rime ??

Halon X

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Malibu, CA
I would just let it be. It's inevitable that you'll scratch it again. Why worry!

I used to find myself babying new laptop purchases (PB/MBP), starting out with good intentions of doing everything I could (protective sleeve) to keep it looking new. Within a month or two I'd always find myself sick of the hassle and just tossing the laptop in my bag naked.

With the MBA, I decided to embrace the inevitable and started throwing it in my bag naked from day one. :eek:

lewisozz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
United Kingdom
Do You Think A Jewler Could Do It ???

This sounds realy sad but it keeps bugging me and it right at the front of my MBA.do you think a jewler could fill it in ????

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Ohh weel could i use brasso on my iphone for the screen or just the back and the silver rime ??

Uh, I wouldn't use it on the iPhone screen if I were you. I don't know what Brasso would do to glass. :eek: Also, the iPhone screen is pretty durable as it is since it is glass and not plastic.

And you want to see scratches? Just look at a MacBook after a year and a half of use. :p

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I would just let it be. It's inevitable that you'll scratch it again. Why worry!

I used to find myself babying new laptop purchases (PB/MBP), starting out with good intentions of doing everything I could (protective sleeve) to keep it looking new. Within a month or two I'd always find myself sick of the hassle and just tossing the laptop in my bag naked.

With the MBA, I decided to embrace the inevitable and started throwing it in my bag naked from day one. :eek:

Just curious how it's holding up? I'm always overly protective with my Apple laptops, but of course I'd prefer to be able to throw them in my bag without worrying about damage. After using a macbook pro for a long time, it's hard to gauge how tough this little thing is....feels sturdy, but I'm not convinced yet.

dbp1999

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
History...

Just curious how it's holding up? I'm always overly protective with my Apple laptops, but of course I'd prefer to be able to throw them in my bag without worrying about damage. After using a macbook pro for a long time, it's hard to gauge how tough this little thing is....feels sturdy, but I'm not convinced yet.

So this house has one 1st Gen 17" MBP (5 year old I think) and that is still going fine although the drive can be reluctant to return disks. It has been submerged once fully in water then dried, dropped twice on the corner but still refuses to die.

12" MBP, better cared for one careful lady owner, but now missing a couple of keys and the battery wont stay in, otherwise fine. Wife claims never dropped.

15" MBP 3 years old, screen died costs way to much too replace, out of warranty so now sits attached to screen. Case lost all silver where hands rest as typing (so definately don't brasso the MBA as it will go black if the finish is anything like MBP). Case is badly bent following a monstrous drop down a flight of stairs on London Underground (screen survived that by a year). Reckon this as the worst build quality of them all.

17" MBP latest Generation, wearing one of those plastic cases (in blue) which works well but really does nothing for the looks. One drop 4 ft to floor case around express slot warped a bit but other than that seems good

13" Macbook, in pink plastic case and definately best build quality

This all bodes well for MBA IMHO so looking for one soon;-)

Almost all of them are thrown in bags without cases, I cycle 25 miles to work and back with them in messenger bag so fair to say I am not what one would call a precautious owner. Ah yes the latest 17" also survived being in bag when White Van wiped me out on bike in December...

Unashamed plug although I am in UK I get all my bags custom made by Ro and Ellie at Reload - http://reloadbags.com/bags/smcivie.php
They can make pretty much any logo for a price, and for the overly protective among you even do a padded bag... !

Tummy

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
So this house has one 1st Gen 17" MBP (5 year old I think)... 12" MBP... 15" MBP 3 years old...

I'm pretty sure you mean Powerbook G4 Aluminum for these. The first Macbook Pro came out in January 2006, hardly 2 years ago. They never released a 12" Macbook Pro.

ViperrepiV

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
what about for fingerprint smudges on the aluminum? a little windex on a rag or paper towel?

dbp1999

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
So this house has one 1st Gen 17" MBP (5 year old I think) and that is still going fine although the drive can be reluctant to return disks. It has been submerged once fully in water then dried, dropped twice on the corner but still refuses to die.

12" MBP, better cared for one careful lady owner, but now missing a couple of keys and the battery wont stay in, otherwise fine. Wife claims never dropped.

15" MBP 3 years old, screen died costs way to much too replace, out of warranty so now sits attached to screen. Case lost all silver where hands rest as typing (so definately don't brasso the MBA as it will go black if the finish is anything like MBP). Case is badly bent following a monstrous drop down a flight of stairs on London Underground (screen survived that by a year). Reckon this as the worst build quality of them all.

17" MBP latest Generation, wearing one of those plastic cases (in blue) which works well but really does nothing for the looks. One drop 4 ft to floor case around express slot warped a bit but other than that seems good

13" Macbook, in pink plastic case and definately best build quality

This all bodes well for MBA IMHO so looking for one soon;-)

Almost all of them are thrown in bags without cases, I cycle 25 miles to work and back with them in messenger bag so fair to say I am not what one would call a precautious owner. Ah yes the latest 17" also survived being in bag when White Van wiped me out on bike in December...

Unashamed plug although I am in UK I get all my bags custom made by Ro and Ellie at Reload - http://reloadbags.com/bags/smcivie.php
They can make pretty much any logo for a price, and for the overly protective among you even do a padded bag... !

I'm pretty sure you mean Powerbook G4 Aluminum for these. The first Macbook Pro came out in January 2006, hardly 2 years ago. They never released a 12" Macbook Pro.

Yep sorry, Powerbooks all but the last 17" !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.