How to Rename your Applications on your iTouch :)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by VToX, Jan 13, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Ok, I found this out myself and its REALLY simple. I named all my apps what I wanted them to be. Sorry I don't have a screenshot of it, I don't have my iPod with me.
    OK. Lets get started.

Step 1. SSH Into your iPod. I use Cute FTP Pro. If you don't know how to SSH into your iPod Find out Here.

Step 2. If you don't see a " Media_Sym " at the starting page, go to the address
    bar and type in " / " and make sure there is nothing after it, just /. Go to the Application folder. There you will see all of your apps.

Step 3. Rename them to whatever you want. BUT DO NOT FORGET!!!!!!!!
    MAKE SURE THERE IS STILL THE .APP AFTER THE NAME!
    i.e. if you have Mines.app, do not make it " Minesweeper " it has to be "Minesweeper.app"
    And finally Do not change the contents in the folder

There you go! You have all your apps how you want them to be!
    If you have any questions please PM me or Post below, I will answer as many as I can.

-vtox:D

2. macrumors newbie

PS3Player

When I type in "/", nothing happens. We type it into the bar above the folders, right?

3. macrumors newbie

renaming icons

When I went to change my icons they all worked. But there was one that didn't work which was the mail icon and that's the whole reason I wanted to rename the icons. I wanted to change the mail icon to "mail and texting" since you are able to text in the mail application. So please answer back telling me why all my icons except mail can be renamed. Oh... And also I wanted to change safari to Internet. Those are the only two that won't rename so please answer back!!!!

4. macrumors newbie

cool! is it ok if i post this in other places? i will try to do it later!

5. macrumors 6502a

Slip

It could be that it's an Apple app and so they won't let you rename it or it could be that it's too long. Have you tried 'Mail & SMS' or something similarly shorter?

6. macrumors newbie

ghalksfdhd

I did the Mail and SMS thing and it worked.... Thank you!!

7. macrumors 65816

japanime

8. macrumors 6502a

Slip

Good to hear :)