how to report scam on ebay?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by andiwm2003, Nov 26, 2005.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

this ebay powermac auctions get ridiculous!

there are auctions of powermacs that look like a scam:

the pictures in this auction are the same computer as in this auction: 5640141126.

both auctions ask you to mail to different adresses: on33wwqq@yahoo.com and berbenos1@HotPOP.com

the computer is located in australia and miami at the same time

the pictures were used in an auction two days ago. don't have the number anymore.

the pictures clearly show there is only one harddisk and only 512 MB ram in there. the auction says in both cases (looks like copy/paste anyway) 2 harddisks and 1GB ram.

how can i report this auctions to ebay? it would only let me report finished auctions that i won.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think you can use this form:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_us/_base/index.html

And select the option for Report a Listing Policy Violation....

But you may have to enter some data in manually. :( It is such a nuisance...I am always leery of these kind of auctions where the pictures and stuff are clearly not representative of the specific unit being sold. :(

3. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the items have been removed.

i don't know if that has anything to do with my mail that i sent to ebays customer service. they really should have a "report this auction" button similar to the one on this forum.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

eBay makes the same money from listing fees and commissions on scam auctions that they do on legitimate auctions...

They seem to have made the reporting process intentionally difficult

Security Centre: Report a Problem: Report a Listing Violation: Fraudulent Listings: Report a listing you think is fraudulent (you didn't bid): Then in the next screen that attempts to send you back to all of the policy and FAQ pages, look for the tiny link that says "Email"

Then randomly, the Submit button takes you to an extra confirmation page that says "Do you really want to send an email? Have a look at our FAQs again". Then, they don't start looking at the problem for many hours or days, by which time many of the auctions will have concluded (it's not for nothing that scammers choose the shortest possible auctions).

Another thing that kills me is they have a rule that a seller cannot post more than 10 auctions of the identical item at once. So their reporting form has a limit of how many auctions you can report - you guessed it, the limit is 10. So they never take action.

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

If what you say is even 1% true, I think EchoBay should burn in Hell.

Ebay has become a mecca for fraudulent activity, attracting the scum of the universe into its fold. I once auctioned off a Canon XL1 digital camcorder and had links of pictures on my website. Within a day of posting, someone stole my pictures and were trying to auction off their own 'camcorder'.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

That's a good reason to include your username on a piece of paper on any photo you post, and.or watermark the photo by putting a translucent username right across the item.

Another fun thing to do if they are stupid enough to link directly to the pictures on your server, is to change your own links, then put a file of the same filename with an image that says "The auction you are llooking at is run by a #&$^V slimeball thief scammer who is using pictures of MY camera on their auction"

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Yeah or change it to something illicit. Illicit images get taken down really fast because people are even more offended by them than a scam (most people won't be able to directly prove its a scam instantly sadly) but when its illicit ebay jumps into arms, trust me.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Any auction that tells you to contact them directly at a (disposable) email address and not through "Contact a Member" is guaranteed to be a fraud and a hijacked account.

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

they don't have so people with an axe to grid or plan bored teenager don't report every single auction they don't like. Can you imagine someone making a bot to report everything single ebay auction?

10. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

what are you trying to say?:confused: :confused: :confused:

anyway, it's really sad because i bought some electronics stuff from ebay and the prices are really good. but with this scam activity you can't take the risk to buy a mac there. it's too much money and at least half of the macs are scam. the listings i'm referring to are from ebay-stores. i always thought they are safe because of the high feedback nombers and the fact that the owners check their shop daily. so they find out immediately when their account gets hacked.

on top of that the ebay pics show up as auctions on craigslist as well. so you can forget about craigslist as well.

seems the only way to shop for used stuff is very specific stuff for less than $100 or locally where you can meet the seller.:(

ad CANADARAM: it's off topic but you once responded to a post of mine about the legallity of OEM versions of software. I'm still looking for a legal Photoshop CS2. On ebay they sell "fully legal" photoshop 3 + CS2 upgrade bundles for about $350. can that be legal or is it another scam?
    with all that sh%& going on with software I'm about to shell out the $600 for a photoshop version anyway because it really pisses me off. I wasted hours to sift through all this phony "get cheap software" ads and it's all scam or illegal.