How to require password for wake from sleep only?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrichmon, Sep 12, 2005.

1. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

I know about being able to set the security preferences panel to "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver". Does anyone know if there is a way to set OS X (10.4.2) up so that when my powerbook is woken from sleep it requests a password, but if it is being woken from just the screen saver then no password is required?

I have a fairly short (~5 minute) delay between the screen saver starting and the computer going to sleep. Since I generally jump between several computers while at work this means that usually I am interupting the screen-saver on my powerbook. For such a short duration, I am happy to live without a secure screen-saver but would still like to have the security of wake from sleep requiring a password. How do I set this up?

Thanks.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sorry, cannot help you directly, but I can give you a tip on a workaround: Enable the Show Status in Menu Bar from the Keychain Access preferences. Then you can (manually) lock the screen from the menu bar before putting the Mac to sleep, while the screen saver does not require password.

3. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question.

Is there a way to make it so a password is not required when making certain changes (such as adding widgets to the Widgets folder)?

4. mrichmon thread starter macrumors 6502a

In my 10.4.2 install no password is required to install widgets. The only thing I can think of is that you don't have write access to your widgets folder. Open a terminal and type in

Code:
    ls -la ~/Library | grep Widgets
    This will produce output something like

Code:
    drwxr-x---   18 yourusername   yourusername    612  Sep 12 15:37 Widgets
    If the output starts with "dr-x" or something similar without "w" as the third character then you need to add write permission to the Widgets folder to remove the prompt for a password when adding widgets. (This all assumes that you are trying to install the widgets into your account rather than into the system library.)

You can add write permission for your widget folder (and remove the password prompt) by entering the following command into a terminal window:

Code:
    chmod u+rwx ~/Library/Widgets

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Add the widgets to the ~/Library/Wdgets instead... no password needed, and they still show up in Dashboard... :)

Edit: Beaten, but I think you can only make a new folder in ~/Library/ called Widgets, if you don't already have one, in Finder. No need for Terminal commands...

6. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Is there no way to select either password protect screen saver or sleep, notb both at the same time? This would be a nice feature.

7. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

mrichmon, "w" was included so I'm guessing I'm using the wrong "Widgets" folder. Thanks for the help!

Mitthrawnuruodo, Thanks as well, I am now using the other "Widgets" folder and am not being asked for my password every damn time I add a widget. :)

8. esXXI macrumors member

Thanks for that tip, saves me typing my password everytime I come back to my screensaver.