Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Hi Guys,

Finished installing OS X Mountain Lion and everything is working perfectly, but I want to be able to restore dock size to defaults and normally it would require you deleting plist file in preferences but It doesn't seem to be working..

Anyone know how I can reset dock to default size?

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
Late reply, but I managed to find out how!

Open terminal and type without quote "defaults delete com.apple.dock" followed by "killall Dock"

It was driving me crazy, I wanted to test some things and reset to default and nothing worked, but this does :)

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008

Open terminal and type without quote "defaults delete com.apple.dock" followed by "killall Dock"

It was driving me crazy, I wanted to test some things and reset to default and nothing worked, but this does :)

Thanks, this works on Developer Preview 4...

ezatech

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011

That above command didn't work for me. I tried:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.{db,plist}; killall Dock

and that worked for me.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
In the Apple world, people shouldn't be able to set things like the Dock and Finder back to their default settings and appearance. Just like they shouldn't be able to hide file extensions of a certain type system wide.

Sorry, just felt like going on a bit of a rant there.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Make your own Applescipt. Open AppleScript Editor and put in the code:
Code:
quit application "Dock"

Then while still in making the Script, after you put in the quit Dock code, Compile it then save it tour desktop or applications folder (save it as an application). Then just double click it to reset the Dock.

jlocalled

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Make your own Applescipt. Open AppleScript Editor and put in the code:
Code:
quit application "Dock"

Then while still in making the Script, after you put in the quit Dock code, Compile it then save it tour desktop or applications folder (save it as an application). Then just double click it to reset the Dock.

That just restarts the Dock process. It will not do things like reset icon layout or preferences.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
try deleting (from the Home>Library>Preferences Folder):

com.apple.dock.plist
com.apple.dock.plist.lockfile

(maybe put them on the desktop, then run Killall Dock in terminal...)

you can get to the user library with option-click on the Go menu...

glewis

Cancelled
Aug 27, 2011
In the Apple world, people shouldn't be able to set things like the Dock and Finder back to their default settings and appearance. Just like they shouldn't be able to hide file extensions of a certain type system wide.

Sorry, just felt like going on a bit of a rant there.

Why not????

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

Worked perfectly for me. Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.